Replacement Fender Tip Light

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by HarryB737, May 7, 2011.

1. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

I just replaced both of my fender tip lights with LED lamps from "Pilot Automotive" wedge base bulbs #194. The original HD part # was 68193-95. I like the look & the life of the LED's is marketed at 100k hours. Pack of 2 at Pep Boy's was $9.98... close to same cost of Harley Brand, but less current draw, and less heat. We'll see how they hold up.

2. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

One thing to remember about LEDs... they are polarized, so if anyone trys to use them & they don't light in 1st position, turn the bulb 180 degrees. :D

3. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I just replaced my stock tail light and turn signals with the HD LED units and was starting to look at those next. Will give them a try.

4. dcfatboy

dcfatboy Active Member

How are the lights holding up?

5. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

I tried them but did not like the color they put off so I removed them. Still running the stock bulbs for now. Sorry but I am not much help as far as how they are holding up.

6. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

I replaced my fender tip lights with an LED array in lieu of a single bulb. Much more visible.

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

On my 09 FLHR, I came into the garage.. Shut down and on the side stand, Heard a tinkle sound hitting the cement.. Looking, IT was a very Distorted lens cover from the fender tip... too hot some how.. Couldn't figure how it stayed on Fully curled and no way would it stay when i tried to match it up ...Just really distorted..so much, really didn't think that was the Whole lens cover.

Looking closely, I could see tiny air bubbles inside the plastic..(?problem)
    mentioned and showed it to the service manager and he said bring it back in a week as they were busy..

No way, I went into HD parts, just bought a new lens cover and popped it on.. under 5$, Never had a problem UNTIL i took it in for close to the final months of the 2yr warranty replacing the right front rotor... Noticing Wrinkled chrome, they remembered me coming in and replace all while I was there under warranty..

The fender tip is one thing I clean all the time, after every ride.. Must of gotten Hot that ride, never noticed it before.. ??

anybody hear of this as being a problem on the newer bikes..??

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

8. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

Replaced front one last weekend (out), I had some more that I had ordered from Superbright LEDS .com, which are brighter and seem to be constructed better. More "Field testing" underway.

9. springer1

springer1 Member

didnt know they were polarized..good to know thx:newsmile036:

10. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

It looks like the marketing dept. missed that one by more than usual. :newsmile036: