Rebuild or buy new

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by harley@16, Sep 29, 2012.

1. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

Well, the insurance adjuster totaled my bike after hitting the deer and now I have a choice. 15K and they keep it or 6600 and I keep it. I ran the parts and I can repair it myself for about 3000. They found a slight tear in the tab where the crash bars mount at the top. A local shop told me that shouldn't compromise the frame and I agree. So now I need to decide if I want to put the 15K into a new one or fix the old one. WWYD?
    Harley

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

There's so many ways of looking at this, and IMO after running all the scenarios, your insides will tell you what to do. If there's ANY doubt about the frame being compromised, I'd go for the total loss.
    I had a 5 mph get off that bent my front crash bar, and ripped the center mount like yours. I just pounded it flat with a bit of heat. My ins. paid me $3K
    for damages. Using Ebay and Craigslist, I spent less than $1K, and upgraded several things such as footpegs, saddlebag guard rails,latches, etc. I was able to rub out some paint instead of new bags. I spent $0 at the dealer, and $0 for labor. BUT,,, it took me a couple of months riding around with a blemished bike to find the good deals. That's what I like to do. You may want it fixed NOW.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

My only question is if you keep and repair the bike will it have a recon or salvage title?

4. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

I need to find that out yet. I'm not so sure I want a bike with a branded title.

5. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

Now I have all winter to get it done. with enough to do some extras, Paint, etc.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

There is an opportunity to make the bike as you want it paint accessories etc if it were me in your position as long as the frame is good i would enjoy the challenge of make the bike mine

Brian

7. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

Breeze, when you did yours did your title get changed?

8. hobo55

hobo55 Active Member

I wouldn't want the salvaged (if that is what it will be) title on a bike unless I were keeping it forever. You would probably loose trying to resell.

9. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

Personally I would take the money and get a used bike for less than the 15'500 and than make any mods I wanted with the extra money. You just never know when you hit something head on, even at a low speed. Good luck whichever way you choose.
    [​IMG]

10. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

No, $3k damage wasn't near value of bike. When I posted my reply, I didn't think of "salvage" title. Like others said, if I didn't intend on keeping the bike for a looong time, I wouldn't want a salvage title. You are going to change your mind a lot on this. I've changed my mind a couple of times just posting my opinion on YOUR bike! :small3d031: