free website stats program Rebuild or buy new | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rebuild or buy new

No, $3k damage wasn't near value of bike. When I posted my reply, I didn't think of "salvage" title. Like others said, if I didn't intend on keeping the bike for a looong time, I wouldn't want a salvage title. You are going to change your mind a lot on this. I've changed my mind a couple of times just posting my opinion on YOUR bike! :small3d031:

You're right 3K not a total, I'm a dummy. And you're right again, can't make a decision.

Lots of good advice. But 15k will go a long way into getting you a newer bike with the new frame, TBW, etc, etc. Don't have to be new, Lots of good trade ins out there with low mileage! Buy from a dealer and you can get the ESP also if you want it.

Stepping into a 09 or newer is Possible....

I'd go for the money and find a nice low mile 09 Touriing model IF that is what you want.

No cats on the 09 and a darn good bike... TBW, better handling from the heavier frame and the wide rear tire to Boot.

Over 200 changes and inprovements on the 09's ,,,, Have YET to find one I didn't like:D

signed....BUBBIE

Hi there,
I'm new around here, so I'm not so familiar with the deer story.

I'd say to take the 6K.
My reasoning

1. if you are a wrencher (assuming as you said you'd fix it yourself), you already know your bike and know what it will take to make it how you want it. If you took 15K and bought something else, you'll have to start over, and you might not know the history on the bike. No surprises is a good thing, unless you are willing to put more money in when you find them.
  2. You'll have some money left over:D

One more opinion.

If it were me, the question of overall bike/frame integrity would ALWAYS be lurking in the back of my mind. Every time I hit a good bump, heard something unusual, or felt the bike twitch in any way, I'd be thinking about it. Every time a passenger climbed on or I loaded it down for a trip I'd be thinking about it.

In my opinion, $15K is pretty generous for an '07. I watch Craigslist and Ebay and my '08 FLHX routinely goes for that or less.

I would take the $15K and look for a pristine, low mileage '08 or '09 Touring bike. They're out there - you just have to be diligent and patient!

Another thing that makes the 09 a good bike to buy.

No cats, TBW and hopefully Had the extra add-on for 09,,, Cruise Control.... I would Not be without it. It was put on most 09 models BUT charged 250$ as an add-on or a selling point FREE. :bigsmiley20:The '10's came out with it as part of the package BUT Cats are in the 10 and up.

The heavier frame is a needed improvement over the previous years.
The larger rear tire and the front tire Give GREAT mileage. 23/25 thousand not unusual.(my 09 FLHR) Much better ride and stability than prevous years.

The market rignt now is soft on the prices and Dr. is right on that Look and you can find a low mileage 09 (my choice over 08/10/11/12.)

15 grand CASH, No waiting for approval from the Bank stuff to go thru,,,, will TEMPT any dealier to give you the Lower Price you OFFER... That dealier probably gave a low trade-in on that Good/prestine 09 that was worth more, but used the "ecconomic problems of today",,, JUST LIKE YOU SHOULD when you offer to buy.
The dealier will be willing to make nothing on this one (09) because he made it all on the new one he sold... BUT you have to Low Ball and go around the sales department.
I know IF you go directly to the owner and say, I want to buy this bike thru you and bypass the sales staff he will do so... Not wanting to miss out on a sale , he WILL negociate with you... I have done this sucessfuly and others I know HAVE done the same.
No shame in saving money:D

Market being YOUR market to buy right now and the Cooling weather will be in Your favor also... Saving :newsmile093:

Another Note here as I think I'm Good at this,,, (not Brag but Fact):D

BE prepaired to walk off (not angry but walk) IF they didn't respond in a favorable mannor... I'd bet they would stop you Before the door closed and Asked you to come back and .....:53:

That is ME, that's way I'd do it.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks everyone for good advice. My bride agrees that taking the 15K would be the best so you know how that goes...
It will be hard to watch them take my ride away. Knowing that repair would be easy, and getting a few upgrades out of the deal would be great. But always having that ? in the back of my mind like the Dr. said, would be unsettleing. I like your thinking too BUBBIE, but how do I know how low to go without insulting them? Maybe I shouldn't worry about that. This is one area I'm not real good. I just have to start doing my homework and I'm greatfull to the great group of knowlegeable people here to learn from.
I even found a 2011 FLHTK with 14K miles Vance and Hines duals(no cats) for 20,500 near here on craigs list. I'm going to check it out.
Thanks everyone:bigsmiley23:
Harley

Thanks everyone for good advice. My bride agrees that taking the 15K would be the best so you know how that goes...
It will be hard to watch them take my ride away. Knowing that repair would be easy, and getting a few upgrades out of the deal would be great. But always having that ? in the back of my mind like the Dr. said, would be unsettleing. I like your thinking too BUBBIE, but how do I know how low to go without insulting them? Maybe I shouldn't worry about that. This is one area I'm not real good. I just have to start doing my homework and I'm greatfull to the great group of knowlegeable people here to learn from.
I even found a 2011 FLHTK with 14K miles Vance and Hines duals(no cats) for 20,500 near here on craigs list. I'm going to check it out.
Thanks everyone:bigsmiley23:
Harley

You never said you Could go More than the 15,:D BUT I didn't ask...

Personally I would still look for a prestine 09... Under say 5,000 miles.. Lot of New bike yet and lower on insurance because of age/value, license also.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

You never said you Could go More than the 15,:D BUT I didn't ask...

Personally I would still look for a prestine 09... Under say 5,000 miles.. Lot of New bike yet and lower on insurance because of age/value, license also.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE
Didn't really want to go more but the option is there, and that 11' looked like a good buy. Maybe I'm just too eager to get something.
Harley

Back