free website stats program Rear Fender Alignment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Fender Alignment

Ok.. it seems some have seen the picture but here is the copy from the gallery.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_gallery/data/511/thumbs/CrookedRead.jpg

Thanks!~

I don't know about the accidents. I don't think so as there doesn't seem to be any other damage. I bought this used. Was brought over from the States in 98 by a US Consulate employee. I know it hasn't fallen since I had it... knock on wood!

I know it isn't a big issue but things like this (and crooked pictures on the wall and such) drive me nuts once I know it's there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ridden the bike this season?Any chance the belt looks too sloppy?That looks so far outta wack Id be checking your shock bolts to make sure the left one holding the swing arm is still in tact.Or the arm coming out of the left shock isnt collapsing into the shock itself causing the swing arm to twist.

Thank you for your reply on this issue.

Yes, I have been riding the bike everyday since it started getting warm. The belt looks fine. The play in the belt is up to specs. I removed the fender today and used a calper to check the alignment of the left and right fender struts by measuring to a fixed point on the lower frame where the rear axle mounts. (Both sides) Considering I had to use best guess as far as a point on the frame to measure to, the results were not bad. There was a difference of about 1/16 inch between the left and the right.

By explanation of how I measured on each side check this photo out. The black line shows where I measured and the difference between the two sides was only 1/16 inch.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_gallery/data/511/thumbs/DSC_0040.jpg

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_gallery/data/511/thumbs/DSC_0039.jpg

Actually, with the fender removed and such there doesn't appear to be any twist so I'm wondering if it all may be in the fender and tail light bracket?

Also, if you look close it does appear the rear tire is not in perfect alighment with the bike. I will check that today as well if I can figure out how... Read the manual, right? !!!

One thing I did note is the rear wheel does not seem to be centered in the bike. I know the front wheel is supposed to be offset but I wasn't aware the rear wheel was also. Can you comment on this.

I am going to go over the shocks this morning as you suggested and check them out. This is an area totally new to me so I will see what I see and let you know.

Thank you so much for your help.

Check the fender struts themselves, you can get a bit of play out of them when you tighten them down. The rear wheel is usually offset on most of these bikes.

Also check the struts to see if they are a matching pair. You may find a part number on the back.

Good morning glider (at least it is here)

Couple of things.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. Struts. One on each side of the fender that first an external chrome piece is bolted to and then the fender. Maybe those are just brackets of some type. Either way, they are welded solid to the frame and not moveable.

The reason I queston my terminology is that you said to check the part number. By having a part number it seems to me the item in question would be moveable. These things (one on each side of the fender) are welded on solid and can only be removed with a torch for sure. What I am referring to as struts are shown here: http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_gall...s/DSC_0040.jpg

On the other hand, if by "check the fender struts themselves" you are referring to the chrome covers that bolt to the two fender struts (again confused with the terminology... sorry about that... but the two steel arms that come up and back for the fender to mount to) they have no part number on them but in laying them side by side and comparing the drilled holes and such they do seem to be identicle.

Jeesh, I'm sorry I am probably confusing everything by not knowing the correct terminology for some of these things.

Based on your statement regarding the "Play" and being able to "tighten the down" I am assuming you are talking about the heavy chrome pieces that bolt to and cover the black steel - what I call fender struts...

Anyway, I hope to be able to get this all sorted out...

Thank you so much for your time.

OK the black part of the frame is the "frame horns" or "fender support" with the bolt holes in them, the chrome pieces are the fender struts. That's where the part number should be on the back and that is where I was referring to a little play when tightening them down to level the fender a bit. You're not going to get much play because the bolts go through the frame horns. Possibility you may have to slide a pipe over the frame horn and give it a bit of a tweak to level things.

Last edited:
Everytime I'm in your shadow I learn more. Thank You!

A little clarification on my earlier descriptions now that I know about the Frame Horn and the Fender Support.

When I use a precision calper to measure the distance from a point on the left side Frame Horn to a fixed point on the frame and then take the same reading on the right side the two are within 1/16 inch of each other.

However, after I install the Chrome fender support and take the reading again they are out about 5/8 inch. What mystifies me however is both the Fender Support and the fender align and use the same holes that are in the Frame Horns as does the tail light/plate bracket. Not sure why the major variance.

Thank You.

In regard to the shock issue by "Whatyardwork", I checked and everything seems to be in place with the shocks. However, I don't know if or when these shocks were ever replaced and now that my rear fender and Fender Support is off the bike I can place one hand on the left Frame Horn, the right hand on the right Frame Horn and sort of bounce the bike and the travel from top to bottom seem to be about 1/2 to 5/8 inch. Almost like there is no play there. Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
The travel of the shock you are seeing is roughly 1/2 of the travel of the rear axle up and down due to the design of the suspension. If the shock moves 1/2" the rear axle is moving 1 " up and down.

Rear Fender Alignment - Concluded

I asked for a received a lot of input on my rear fender area looking out of alignment so I thought I should post the results of what happened.

I removed the tail light assembly, rear fender, frame horns and fender supports. I checked the axle for alignment and made sure it was true. I checked the vertical distance from the left end of the rear axle to a set point on the frame and from the right end of the rear axle to the same point to make sure the distances were the same. (checking for square so to speak) and made sure everything was true.

I then carefully reinstalled the supports, horns, fender and tail light assembly and discovered that the reason everything look out of square was due to the loose play that is there in the combination of all the components. Consequently, as I re assembled everything I made sure everything was square and straight at each point of the assembly and "walla" when I was finished the situation of the rear assembly looking tilted was gone.

Thank you for all your input! This was just a matter of tweaking everything to be true and straight and tight!

Cheers!

Back