free website stats program rear cylinder too lean and too hot | Harley Davidson Forums

rear cylinder too lean and too hot

magman

I just purchased an 05 Road King with 11,000 miles. Its running rough at all rpms. Handle bars and front end shakes and floor boards vibrate at all rpms. I did the self diagnostics on the speedo display and there are no codes in the history or current. The rear plug is running shinny new high gloss pristine clean and the front plug it running very light tan normal. I ran the engine in the garage at approx 50 degrees farenheit for about 5 minutes to get the engine warmed up to operating temperature to spay WD40 around the intake manifold to determine if I had a manifold leak. I ran the engine up to approx 2000 rpm for approximately 20 seconds while spraying the manifold connections and there was no change in the sound of the engine. I returned the engine to idle. I looked for a better place to hold the can and ran the engine up again and sprayed again with no change in sound of engine. I put the can of wd40 on the bench and turned around to the bike and the rear cylinder exhaust Y pipe was glowing red at the head attach area. I shut the bike down. THe original owner put Screamin Eagle slip on exhaust and K&N intake filter that is open in the back and all the original intake filter is removed. I pulled out the injectors and I am staring at them now. THere is no visible clogging of the 4 injector holes on each injector or contamination. There is a nice even oval off center fuel stain ring on the rear injector. The front injector does not make a complete circle or oval stain but has a thicker stain on one side and no stain on the other. There is no sign of an aftermarket EFI. I dont know what to do or check now. I need some help. Dispite the fact that the bike is not throwing any error codes there is definately a problem with the rear cylinder running too lean and too hot.

Any advise most greatly appreciated.
thanks- Magman

Is there an aftermarket fueler to add richen the fuel mixture? If not that is a must with the free flowing exhaust and air cleaner.

Welcome to the Forum!

Did you have a fan blowing on the motor? With no air flow it's going to get really hot real fast.

Thee is no aftemarket EFI that I noticed. Also, the OHM restac was 15 fr bot injectors. I dained and efilled thefuel tank with fresh 93 octane. Compression checked out at 135+ fo both cylinders. I put the bike back together and went 5 miles down the higway and back and the new rear plug was white powder....still running way to lean and hot. I am ready to bite the bullet and buy an aftemarket EFI. I sure could use some help to pick one out...seems like there are so many to choose from. I think I would like the option to program each cylinder independently based on my current condition. thanks for helping and any advise on EFI's.

NO, I did not have a fan blowin on the motor. :/ I will from now on. Thanks :D I still have concern that was not as hard on the motor as riding through town stuck from light to light in the summer heat. greez, I need to get it running cooler!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodeen has you covered on a good fueler and you might run some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil through the tank.

I just purchased an 05 Road King with 11,000 miles. Its running rough at all rpms. Handle bars and front end shakes and floor boards vibrate at all rpms.

Did you know it was having this problem when you bought it??? Hope you didn't cause any damage getting the rear cylinder hot enough to make the pipes glow red. That's HOT!!!! Whoever added the hi flo a/c and new slip ons should have added more fuel, one way or the other. Its possible they just had a download from the dealer. How does the oil look and smell??? I'd definitely change it out to a full synthetic once you fix the problem.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info. After cleaning, inspecting and testing the injectors I put it all back together with new plugs last night and went for a 6-8 mile ride down the hiway. The rear plug is covered with white powder so I went ahead and ordered the original Dobeck 1040 gen II TFI off Amazon for $175 with free shipping....seemed like a good deal even with membership and being Veitnam era vet. If that doesn't fix the problem I guess I will disassemble the intake system down to the heads and relace all the gaskets and seals and also High temt silicone the mufflers at the slip on joint. I will also remove the rear exhaust pipe covers at the head and see if there is a leak there. After that, I dont know what to try :/

The bike is an 05 with 11,000 original miles. Being sold by a friend as the owner is suffering from occasional blindness from diabetis and his friend was helping sell it. 1) I assumed the bike was shaking a little heavy (rough) because it had obviously spent ALOT of time sitting around. I figured it was probably bad gas or something. How can an EVO bike with only 11,000 miles have ANY engine problems? 1) These newer isolated harleys shake so bad when brand new you cant even tell a new one from a worn out turd just by looking. :( 2) The engine runs smooth by sound, not missing, back firing, hesitating, or showing any problems under power. 3) My last Harley I bought was a brand new shovel in 1977 and the engine was hard mounted and it seemed smoother than these new isolated computer wonders...sigh

The oil is synthetic and was just changed at 10,000 but I will check it out. The engine has been running extremely lean and hot for probably a long time before I bought it. The owner did not know about downloads because the upgrades were done when he purchased it with only a few thousand miles in 09

oh yea, I did notice it is making a gurgling, purcolating sound with some light and occasional poping out the exhaust on deceleration. what does that mean?

deep in the woods

Just for grins swap the injectors make a run and recheck the plugs, this is an 05? Twincam 88?

Just for grins swap the injectors make a run and recheck the plugs, this is an 05? Twincam 88?

great idea. Wish I had thought of that. will do and report back.
Yes 05 88

I swapped out the injectors. Started it up and it was missing and got progressively worse until it was running on one cyl off and on and missfiring pretty bad. I Ran it for about a minute because I wanted to get some kind of reading on the plugs. The rear plug is now running wet and black (not firing?). The front cylinder is running dry and black (way rich). I dont know what I did but its really screwed up now. I forgot to disconnect the negative battery post when I removed tank and swapped injectors. MAybe I screwed up the computer and need to reboot it by disconnecting the battery. Any ideas why I would go from running perfect except lean and hot to running horrible just swapping the same injectors? I am a week into this now and its taking a toll on my enthusiasm.

Back