free website stats program rear cylinder too lean and too hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear cylinder too lean and too hot

Harley Davidson Forums Pick up one of these and check for spark at both cylinders, wear gloves and bend the wires to double check Wiggle the injector wires also to see if it improves the running

Harley Davidson Forums Pick up one of these and check for spark at both cylinders, wear gloves and bend the wires to double check Wiggle the injector wires also to see if it improves the running

I have the tank off and injectors out and tested the injectors again and they are both reading 15 ohms. This is the 3rd time I have had the tank drained and off. I did wiggle the injector wires with no change. I suspect I may have a wire problem now that I have pulled this stuff apart so many times. I should check to see that I have correct power to the injectors and no short before putting this stuff all back together again. I am concerned about running the bike out of fuel and drying out the pump and repriming so many times to remove the tank. I guess I can check for fire to the plugs with everything apart, right? I will check outside and make sure there is no fuel vapor to spark off? How do I test the injectors to see if they are working and not shorted out? The injectors do rotate relatively easy inside the rubber o-rings when fully installed on the intake. Is this normal?

I would switch your inj. back to normal. I'm not sure if was with TC88 or 96 but HD went to a single fire system which to me means the inj. has to pulse/squirt when it's prospective plug fires. I could be wrong though.
tourbox

I checked the plug wires and it looked like the rear wire was dead at first. BUT, I discovered the brand new rear plug was bad. So, it looks like the tester only pulses if the plug is firing thereby telling you if you have a bad component in the loop. When I swapped the plug the tester was reading pulses on the wire but much weaker pulses than the front plug wire test. SO, it looks like you get a bad wire confirmation only if the failure is isolated just to the wire and not any other components in the loop.

I swapped the injectors back to original and hooked up my Dobeck TFI and fired it up. Its running much better but still not perfect. The instructions with the TFI stated that it did not matter which injector the new TFI wire set plugged into so I summize swapping the injectors has no effect other than the condition of the injector unit. They are the same injector in each cylinder

I will take it out for a ride tomorrow after work and see what the plugs have to say and report back.

BTW, I got that TFI in the mail in 24 hours!! I ordered from Amazon and it shipped from:
:apPowersports Supercenter:ap who billed back 3rd party. I am amazed at the quality of service from both of these 1st class vendors

I will take it out for a ride tomorrow after work and see what the plugs have to say and report back.

The bike is running pretty good now and much smoother. Plugs are both slightly too lean but very well matched. I need to take it out on a longer ride to further adjust the Dobeck TFI. The TFI solved the problem. I want to richen it up a little. Anyone know which way to turn the Green mixture pot up or down to richen it up?

Many thanks to the richeous few bro's that took the time to help me out.

Catch ya'll in the wind.
Magman

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad its fixed. I just installed a Dobeck EJK, that has push buttons for adjusting. Does your TFI adjust by a screw? I'm not sure which way richens it, but I'm sure you can find it on their website, or call them. They're very helpful people.

Just tuned in and glad to see that the bike is running much better. However, that 135psi compression would concern me unless you are above 5000 feet which would explain the lose CCP. A stock TC88 should show about 160psi, or thereabouts, at sea level if the top end is in good condition. So, either you are located 5000 feet above sea level, the test was not done correctly or you may have top end issues. Worth checking again with another test. Both plugs removed, battery charger connected in the "START" mode, throttle held wide open.:D

yes, 4 adjusting screws (pots)

A stock TC88 should show about 160psi, or thereabouts, at sea level if the top end is in good condition. So, either you are located 5000 feet above sea level, the test was not done correctly

I have an ancient pressure gauge with ancient rubber boot and it is leajing down when I read it. That is why I stated at least 135 psi. I was hoping someone may spot any issues with my posts and chime in. Now that I know what compression I should be getting, I will check it again.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back