Rear Belt Drive Noise

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by craig Lee, Jul 27, 2009.

1. craig Lee

craig Lee Active Member

This is the bomb Rear Belt Drive Noise - Harley Davidson Community
    Exactly answered what we were looking for. When backing Mz Bling's and my bike in after a day of riding, now that it is warmer, we have heard the squeeking on both bikes.

Question: Glider posted this a couple years ago. Thankyou. Are we still sold on the Dry Silicone Spray by Krylon? or any new developments.

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

That or any belt dressing from the auto parts store. Personally, I like using an old candle - I jack up the rear tire and put the bike in first. Carefully start the bike and ease out the clutch. Being very careful, I then hold the candle against the sides of the belt.

TQ

3. craig Lee

craig Lee Active Member

Interesting, Thanks.

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

And, you can also use a liberal dose of Pledge!! The wax in that will do the same thing.

TQ

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Eh...Pledge? Glider must be in the neighborhood...:D

6. Thorns

Thorns Active Member

I have found that the pulleys expand when hot and the belt doesn't. I adjust my belt to the loose side, and this eliminates the noise. Most people adjust there belt too tight.

Thorns

7. craig Lee

craig Lee Active Member

I have wondered about that. The belts on both bikes seem pretty tight after riding but have the 1/4"-5/16" play before riding. (although I don't have the 10lb pressure tool and going by feel) Picked up some Krylon Silicone Spray today. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks

8. demoman54

demoman54 New Member

my belt gets loose then tight as it rolls cant figure out why any answers

9. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

just like the older chain & sprocket tight then loose w/ u roll bike. id say the sprockets are not perfect..

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I think the candle wax tip from TQ is the Ticket. If you do go with silicone spray, I would make sure it's food grade silicone. Most silicone sprays have petroleum (hydrocarbon) based solvents in them. That's the last thing you want to put on a rubber/fiberglass belt. Food grade are free of those extra nasty rubber attacking products.