free website stats program rain gear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rain gear

I was going to get two sets of Frogg Toggs till i started reading reviews. They say they melt from just the heat, don`t have to touch the motor or pipes. So now i not sure what i`m going to get.

As i live in a generally wet climate i tend to always wear textile gear made of cordura it is waterproof abrasion resistant has ce approved armour fitted thermal liner for cold weather and vent zips for hot

Brian

I have to add another "thumbs up" to the Harley Hi-Vis. It has kept me completely dry thru some real cloud busters.
Whatever you do, don't skimp on your rainwear. Once you have used it, and arrived dry and warm, you will be glad you spent the money.

If you have been reading the replies they are quite varied. We bought Frogg Toggs, but have not used them yet, we also purchased the heat resistant patch for the legs, which seems to be the major problem with them. I think the rain gear thingy is an evolving process for us, the Toggs were not very expensive $39 each for the hi-vis with piping at Academy Sports. We will see how they work out.

We use Frogg Toggs. There are different qualities and styles for different activities. They make a set called RoadToads. These are the ones that we have. They have zippers in the legs so you can get your boots through and they have a flap that covers the leg zipper and the jacket zipper. I've worn them all day in a steady rain and not gotten wet. You get what you pay for $39 FroggToggs for watching a sport game or $70 for RoadToads made to ride a motorcycle. You do need to get the heat resistant patch to go on your right leg or you will melt them on the pipes.

Because I really don't ride in the rain but rather get caught in the rain I went to Bass Pro and bought the rain parka & pants for both my wife and myself. The fold into their own sack to about the size of a medium zucchini. So I have 4 little sack that fit quite nicely in my lower saddle bag. They don't take up any room and they are always there. When we wentt o N.J. a few years ago we got caught in a rain storm for like 3 hours. They held up well. I didn't have any trouble melting them although I have melted garment against hot pipes in the past so I am somewhat cautious there. Also, just to be on the safe side I picked up an orange safety vest with the reflective tape on it for higher visibility. It too stows nicely with very little room taken up. In my case it makes sense for me because of the stowage issue with two pairs of rain gear. I almost forgot to mention that i also have the HD over the boot rain boots. They work very well. A nice feature with them is that they ride up fairly high on your leg up over your calf so they really keep the rain off of your lower legs.

I have a Nelson Rigg AX1 it's good but does not pack small, just a bit smaller than a 12 pack. A couple tips that may help someone;
I wear a 2 size larger suit. It fits over any clothes that I wear, and I find that at speed I inflate like the Michelin Man. This seems to help keep the air flowing on hot days. I haven't noticed any water intrusion, the air must come from the waist area?
I specifically got a suit that has 17" zipper on legs for easy on off. I also like bib type pants, the overlap is insurance against water intrustion.
I made a "heat shield" for my right leg out of the leg of an old pair of jeans. Elastic is sewed into top, and a slit with snap to fit over riding boot. Cost next to nothing, and works. Making it out of a cheap ironing board cover would be better.

rainsuitheatshield002.jpg

I live in Southern California and we don't get much rain so I didn't have any rain gear till a couple of years ago. I ride cross country a lot and have hit rain on the road. Stopped in a HD Dealership in Neb. once to get out of the rain, didn't have any rain gear with me. Bought the mid priced HD gear, jacket, pants, gloves and boots, about $300 total. They work great because ever since buying them I have never hit rain again in the last two years. Don't know if it is luck or the HD rain gear but I am always dry now. If I ever hit rain again I'll let you know how the HD gear works. I guess its like buying insurance, you pay the premium and hope never to have to use it!!

about 10 years ago bought the wife and I a set of Joe Rocket Ballistic rain gear. We still have it and it has been great. Saved us from a surprise thunderstorm coming out of Leavenworth WA a few years back. I saw the clouds early and tried to convince our group we were in for a storm, they laughed and kept riding...wifey and I stopped, geared up and 15 min later it CAME down. We passed our group soaking and trying to quickly don thier rain gear...what was the topic again? lol

I love my frog toggs and then after them comes Field shear. I have a set of the joe rockets and there are good but not a good as the frog toggs.

Back