free website stats program question about lifters | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

question about lifters

when the bike is cold and idling at 1200rpm the oil pressure is around 30. when it idle down to around 800rpm the pressure will drop to 8. Mechanic says it runs great after it warms up, with no noise at all. just concern if it is the lifters or maybe something else.

when the bike is cold and idling at 1200rpm the oil pressure is around 30. when it idle down to around 800rpm the pressure will drop to 8. Mechanic says it runs great after it warms up, with no noise at all. just concern if it is the lifters or maybe something else.

Probably like the mechanic says...

800 RPM is a little on the LOW side of idle RPM... That low of a RPM Does make a difference in oil pressure at the idle.

IF you want to Just reeplace the lifters yourself or your mechanic. I'd go with gaterman latest ones? GP1023? I just did a rebuild and installed them in my 09 FLHR.

very Pleased with the gaterman lifters. I reused my SE slender Taper adjustable push-rods. To me, adjustable's are the Only way to go.IMHO.....

24 thrds per inch : setting them at "0" Lash @ 3.5Turns (deep) pre-load on the lifters. Nice and Quiet running new SE255 cams.

IF you don't like the noise and it used to be quiet,,,,,, "A" Change may do the trick.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:

It's the lifters, just takes some time for them to pump up. As Bubbie points out, 800 is too low for idle rpms; should be at least 900 and 1000-1100 even better.

If you can live with the warm up noise, let her warm up, ride and forget about it. If not, repalce the lifters; several options available as mentioned in previous posts. :s

Back