free website stats program question about lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

question about lifters

rsbourff

I have a 2008 electra glide standard with 44,000 miles. My question is when I start it, it will make a lot of noise and my mechanic seems to think it is the lifters. The noise will go away after idling about 4 or 5 minutes. he checked the fluids and didn't find any metal or plastic in them. I am wondering if there is a way to check the lifters to see if that may be the problems before replacing them?

Lifters are good indicators of low oil pressure. One lifter? Fine, lifter. All lifters? Low oil pressure. I would be concerned about the oil pump. Have them check the crank runout and pump, as long as you will have the cam chest open to check the lifters.

What more can you tell us about the scooter? Mods? Noise goes away as long as engine warm, comes back when cool? Whatever else you notice.

Enjoy,
Rich P

What oil do you use, adjustable push rods? What is your oil pressure?

I see your bike is an 08...

Like RibEye says about oil pressure.....

Do you have an oil pressure gauge now? ?electric? or None?

Need to put a pressure gauge on it to SEE the oil pressure...

Lifters Can wear out but not that usual on under 50,000 miles.IMO

If you say idling for 4-5 minutes??? That is a long time to idle an Air cooled motor.

A Bog box fan on high across the exhaust side and I would say OK.

If you raise the Idle to a Faster idle (1500 RPM), does the noise go away quicker than 4 /5 min?

IF you answer the above...

THEN, I MAY suggest a few things.

signed....BUBBIE

Just saw the light go out... WE must have scared him away.........

everything is stock except Rinehart slip on and k&n air filter. use amsoils. will check the oil pressure gauge later this evening

checked the oil pressure and at 50mph in 4th gear and rpm at 2500 pressure was around 25. at idling while warm it was around 8

You guys think the relief spring could be weak letting it bypass while the oil is thick and cold? Just a thought.

checked the oil pressure and at 50mph in 4th gear and rpm at 2500 pressure was around 25. at idling while warm it was around 8

My 07 manual calls out for 30-36 @ 230 degrees temperature @2000 RPM, 7-8 @ idle

Lifters bleed down between rides; valve spring pressure forces the oil out. At 44k miles, the internal parts of the lifter, I.e., check valve spring, plunger, etc. have worn, some more than others. Manufacturing tolerances vary as well. The more worn the internals, the more bleed down and the longer it will take for the lifter to pump up. Oil pressure has nothing to do with lifter bleed down. If the OP can live with the warmup clatter, no worries. Replacing the lifters is the solution if the OP doesn't want to listen to the warm up clatter. Woods d directional, HQ Black Ops, Gaterman and the new S&S lifters are manufactured to tighter tolerances and subject to closer QA/QC; that's why they cost more.
WAP.gif

Back