free website stats program Protecting my fat boy from the elements. | Harley Davidson Forums

Protecting my fat boy from the elements.

GimmeFuel

I wish I were able to store my fat boy in a heated garage, but I have to leave it outside with nothing more than a formosa cover. What are some measures that I can take to protect the bike (engine, paint, chrome, everything) from the elements, both while riding and as it sits?

One of them cheap like "Sears" lawnmowmer" sheds... not great but will keep dew and a lot of dirt off you bike..And will keep the wind and the cover from scuffing yor paint? Better than nothing......

Years ago, I used a motorcycle storage system called a "Bike Barn". There are probably several different makes on the market now, but it ran me about $250 new, on Ebay, kept the bike dry and in good condition for the 5 years I used it , was easy to get the bike in and out of, easy to maintain ( a little canvass waterproofing once a year) , and was in good enough condition what I finally got room in the garage, that I resold it on Ebay for $100. Took about an hour to set up, initially, but worked really well.

Don't know where you live but in my neck of the woods the damp winter conditions really take their toll, the portable covers are ok short term but for anything like winter storage I wouldnt be happy untill I had it in doors and in the dry. Maybe rent space from a friend or a storage unit, local dealer here rents out storage, could be an option in your area. Spend a buck now will save you big bucks in the spring.

Agree w/rented storage option. Check w/your HD dealer b/c sometimes they work service package into storage so it's not to bad of a monthly payment. You'll probably spend as much $$$ on cover, protectant, etc...

I would let a buddy park his scoot in my garage anytime. Bring her over. I would highly suggest you persue this option. Moisture is not our friend.

What the heck, make a space in the living room and enjoy all winter long. Great heated storage. It's only for a little while.

Back