proper oil filter?

Discussion in 'Oil' started by nramike, Jul 2, 2008.

1. nramike

nramike Member

I recently had a K&N oil filter installed and switched to amsoil. I was reading another post talking about differences in filter media size for different engines. Since the switch, I have noticed a little more noise from the engine when hot and idling. Can the wrong filter be mounted and restricting oil flow or is it just my imagination? It is a 98 dyna.:newsmile091:

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

They 98 being an evo used a 30 micron filter. I don't think the ones you listed are the 30 micron, it's entirely possible the noises you hear are being caused by the smaller filter media.

No substitute for the HD filters to be sure.

3. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

Synthetic oil is not dependant on viscosity to do it's job.Because of that it's a bit thinner than mineral based oil and will not dampen noise as well as mineral oil.Not a problem but can be annoying.The K&N is a good filter as is Amsoil and OEM Harley.Avoid Fram at all costs.

4. nramike

nramike Member

Thanks gents, a new HD filter will be installed before she goes out again.:small3d004:

5. Animal

Animal Active Member

Why change from K&N is it the micron thing? I love them because of the nut on the end, so easy to change.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

That's why I use the HD filters. They are 5 micron rated and I believe the K&N are 20.

7. kemo

kemo R.I.P

animal, I think there might be 2 nuts on the end

8. tlyoungb

tlyoungb Junior Member

Does anyone have a parts manual for a 2005 Electra Glide Standard? I am going to change the fluids in all the holes, and I am going to check the cam chain tensioners while I am in there. Just wanted to know what parts I would need.

Thanks

9. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

I use HD Filters, # 63796-77A, it may fit older models also, not sure.

10. Animal

Animal Active Member

Check the Help section, the tensioner's should be O.K. till at least 25,000 miles then check them.