free website stats program Primary Chaincase Noise? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Chaincase Noise?

From what you describe, I would suspect the belt making a squeak when first starting out cold. You can try raising the rear wheel off the ground, putting the tranny in neutral and rubbing a candle or crayon against the sides of the belt as you rotate the rear wheel. This will apply some wax to the sides of the belt and that will then apply it to the sides of the pullies. Do this for several revolutions of the rear wheel.

See if that helps.

TQ

I'll bet you hit it! The sound is exactly like what you described like a squeaking noise until it gets some heat in it them goes away in a few seconds & only does this when bone cold........:coffee

==========================================================

Pop off the derby cover and have a look inside make sure you can see lube in there, It could be as simple as too low of fluid, some times the techs get in a hurry, not trying to make excuses for them but some are lazy JMO

I don't think that its low on fluid cause the very next day after the 1000mi service was done I noticed a leak from the side lower primary cover leaking down the bottom! I took it back the very next day! The tech did not seat the gasket properly & they had to reseat the gasket & check the fluid! I also look religiously for leaks after & before every ride as I am a leak seaking freak! I actually have the bike parked on a rubber mat in my garage, so that if anything leaks I can see it on the mat! So far no leaks after they fixed that issue......:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't the wax collect a lot of dirt ect and end up having a grinding effect ???

Haven't had that problem. The wax is not sticky and only serves to add a little "slickness" to the sides of the pulleys where the belt makes contact. The belt actually serves to polish the sides of the pulleys with the wax.

You remember this trick when we used to have separate belts on the A/C, power steering, alternator, etc. on our cars. We used to use candles or crayons to quiet them down when a belts got older and started chirping. A more exotic solution was "belt dressing". We call that Pledge!!

TQ

Well today after I had my HD Switch Blade Chrome wheel installed HD Part # 40359-10 with the chrome brake rotor, my experienced installer stated that all the noise is just from the Chrome Sprocket cover that I had installed when I had the Chrome Deuce Rear wheel installed back in March! After it gets some heat into it the squeaking stops immediately! Nothing to worry about!.......He road tested it & listened to it today after the wheel instalation!

Update! I took the bike into the dealer to have it checked out! They stated that my Chrome inner primary cover was not installed properly because of the spacers used or lack of them, & the belt was rubbing causing the noise & vibration! I am pleased that it was a simple item! Pickin her up now! :newsmile108:

Back