Primary Chaincase Noise?

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by risuperglide, May 24, 2011.

1. risuperglide

risuperglide Active Member

I have noticed that when my bike sits for several days & is bone cold, after I start her up & put it in gear & let off of the clutch & start rolling that I think I hear a kind of a squeaking noise that I believe is comming from the Primary Chaincase. Funny thing it's only there for a few seconds as when the bike gets in forward motion it goes away? It only does this when its bone cold, even after a warm start it does not do this at all? The bike only has 1800 miles, 2010 FXDC & had the 1000 mile service done before I put her away for the winter. Should I stress about this few second squeaking thing?.......:sd

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member Contributor

Take it in under warranty . have the compensator checked:s

3. risuperglide

Pardon my ignorance but what is a compensator & what function does it do & where is it located?......:coffee

4. ckhismine

ckhismine Active Member

I would take it and leave it at the dealer overnight so they will have the bike stone cold to hear the noise.

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I would also be sure and not overlook something that has come loose. Like a heat shield or exhaust bracket etc. I usually start grabbing things (when cold) and tapping on stuff to search out strange noises.

Bodeen

6. risuperglide

I'll start grabbin at stuff tommorrow before I ride!........:coffee

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member Contributor

Pop off the derby cover and have a look inside make sure you can see lube in there, It could be as simple as too low of fluid, some times the techs get in a hurry, not trying to make excuses for them but some are lazy JMO

8. ckhismine

ckhismine Active Member

Thats a good idea Jack has you never know. You could have lost some and now it to low. I would at least check it be for riding any. Good luck.

9. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

From what you describe, I would suspect the belt making a squeak when first starting out cold. You can try raising the rear wheel off the ground, putting the tranny in neutral and rubbing a candle or crayon against the sides of the belt as you rotate the rear wheel. This will apply some wax to the sides of the belt and that will then apply it to the sides of the pullies. Do this for several revolutions of the rear wheel.

See if that helps.

TQ

10. ckhismine

ckhismine Active Member

Wouldn't the wax collect a lot of dirt ect and end up having a grinding effect ???