free website stats program Prescription Sunglasses | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prescription Sunglasses

Lancer, do you have any probs with contacts drying out while riding?

Not usually, I wear wrap around type sunglasses that fit pretty close. I do keep a bottle of re-wetting solution in my pocket, I'll use that at rest/nourishment stops in the ride. I have noticed if there is a strong cross wind (like the other day) it seems to get behind the glasses. As long as I use the re-wetting solution I have not had any problems.

I have used Bolle's for many years. The current model I have are the Parole series which are wrap-around and they have a presciption insert. I love them as my astigmatism doesn't allow me to have wrap-arounds with a good Rx. They come with 4 shades (including clear) of lenses and you can use them as Rx glasses or non-Rx. Very nice glasses and great on the bike. The glasses are about $80 and the prescription inserts are about $30. Just bring them down to whoever makes your glasses and they should be able to fit the insert with your Rx.

check them out on Bolle's website. I've used Bolle for about 15 years and they've never let me down.

I've been looking for a set of prescription sunglasses that I can wear while riding. Unfortunately you can't try them before you buy them

Working with my VSP program at work, I found an eye doctor close that carries the Liberty Sport brand. They carry the Trailblazer model as well as the Biker model. I believe that Liberty makes the Rec Specs line as well.

Before I get the Wiley-X and RayBan debate, I don't have those options.

Just looking to see if anybody has and experience, good or bad, with those models I listed above.

Check out Guard-Dogs Eyeware. They can do Rx for you. They are very helpful and have great products at very affordable prices. They can also provide you with the documentation to submit to the VPS program. I had good luck with this and recieved a check from VPS. If you talk to Susan, tell her Rick from Ventura said Hi.

Here is the link:

Sunglasses, goggles, GOGGS and accessories - Guard-Dogs Aggressive Eyewear

Prescription Riding Glasses

Order some prescription riding glasses from Walmart recently Liberty brand and seem to be very strong. I thought that do to the curvature of the lens that just need to get use to them. Had a chance to try them out yesterday riding and couldn't hardly take it. Looking to the side was hard to focus, if I move the glasses down my nose it was little better but up against my face was terrible. Park the bike and kind of strange walking, eyes hurt for hours. They are no-line progressive transitions lens. I have been wearing same scrip. for years. Took them back today and everything check out O.K. Said there willing to work with me on them, suggested I wear them the for a day or two before I ride again. Anybody have trouble with prescription riding glasses? Thanks

Re: Prescription Riding Glasses

Yes I have to . To be exact everything you mentioned here. In fact the folks who filled the prescription said the same thing. Hard to except when you drop that kind of money and just can't get comfortable. I try to wear them around a bit each day to see if it will get better. The hurting of my eyes is getting better. and I seemed to be able to keep them on longer.

I wear my blended perscription blended bi-focals, worked fine, really hated line bifocals, the big blur in the middle was DANGEROUS, and gave me headaches. Blended lens are kinda misunderstood, as they are kind of hourglass blended, so peripheral vision is not affected and it is safe to walk down stairs (lined lens being half and half means when you look down you cannot see your feet...bad deal there! :devil

I found some close fitting goggles that are yellow tinted which work day or night, so I don't have to get my spare set out of my windshield bag (they're Guard Dogs with clear, smoked interchangable lens). An alternative low cost solution are Solar Shades (most drug stores carry them), but they come in tinted only, so for daytime riding only. The only specialized lens were ones I use on my diving mask, they work great, but then I have not gone skin diving in over 20 years...:newsmile040:

Sunglasses, goggles, GOGGS and accessories - Guard-Dogs Aggressive Eyewear

I wear my clear perscription blended bi-focals and use a pair of yellow lens goggles that fit closely and good for day, overcast or night riding. I carry a spare pair of Guard Dogs with clear & smoke interchangable lenses in my windshield bag.

As a cost issue, the Solar Shades available at most local drug stores $19 work in a pinch, but are tinted only, not good for night driving.

Last edited:
I just ordered a pair of transition lens glasses from this outfit. They sent me 4 sets to "try on" to determine which I liked and then I ordered the pair I wanted with the prescription lenses. You just return the try on's for credit towards the prescription ones.

Did you call them and work this out with them or just use their return policy?

Everyone: Thanks for all the responses!! Definitely a lot of options!! :D

I have a pair I got at Wal-Mart for $30 that have 3 sets of lens with them. Clear , dark tinted and yellow for cloudy days. I took a coupple of old perscription glasses and my drimel tool and made lens to fit perfectly into the back side of the lens. The glasses have foam around the inside to keep dust out but it also holds the scrips in. I can see as good with them as I can with my regular glasses. I even wear them fishing.

Re: Prescription Riding Glasses

Any good places up here in Canada where you can get perscription riding glasses, mail order seems like crap shoot as the above posts proove.

Back