free website stats program Power hookup for GPS | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power hookup for GPS

Scrappy found the Eklipes "Generic" Accessory 12V receptacle with the opposite end able to cable up to your Battery Tender end (I found it after I used the HD one wiring it up to the Battery Tender plug, but double check your receptacle wiring as the shell should be ground, the center button +12V DC and fused between 2.5 and 7.5A typically.

tn138s3.jpg

Otherwise use the similar one for HD Touring bike that has the Deutsch 4 pin connector on the opposite end to wire directly into the HD wiring harness. Either option works. Good Luck. :s

Look for your 12v accessory connector under the seat. You should have one spare on a stock Sportster.
AccPlug.jpg

PowerAtPlug.jpg

If not you should get a 4 way accessory splitter.
Accadapterkit.jpg

And the harness adapter.
adapter.jpg

I have wired my GPS this way. Also I have installed a cigarette lighter to one of the extra accessory plugs and coiled it under the seat. I use it for my cellphone's car charger.
PLUG.jpg

The black wire will go to ground either on your battery or where the battery connects to your chassis.

Bigfoot,

The harness is still sold but the adapter 70310-04 is no longer sold since the part number will not come up on any HD system.

Bigfoot,

The harness is still sold but the adapter 70310-04 is no longer sold since the part number will not come up on any HD system.

You get a spare plug with the splitter set-up. They can sell you more. You will have to make up your own adapter with the plug, connectors and some red wire. Connectors were sold to me in sets of 10 I think. They're called "AMP multilock connectors" sold in pins and sockets. You will need the pin connector for in the spare plug provided.

Look for the orange wire wit black stripe for power or positive 12V. and a black wire for 0V for negative. It can be found on the head light connector wire. I just wired my Garmin on my street glide last weekend. If you wire it this waty it will work fine with your ingnition switch. Just as a precaution fuse the positive wire with a 2 amp fuse.

Back