Police Up Ahead

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by joebatterzz, Jul 4, 2009.

1. joebatterzz

joebatterzz Member

Hey Everyone,

I often tap the top of my helmet to let other riders know there are police up ahead of them, I thought this was a universal sign however I get the funniest reactions to the signal. What method do you use to give notice to oncoming riders about police presence?

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

You are using the correct signal but a lot of folks aren't familiar with it. You could also flash your high/low beams like you would in a car.

3. Moucheter

Moucheter Member

Yes your signal is ok and what we also do here in Montreal instead of tapping the helmet we make a circle with our hand above the helmet.

4. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

I'm familiar with flashing the brights. Was not aware of tapping the helmet or the circular motion. Thanks.

5. SeaRider04

SeaRider04 Active Member

Around here, we use them both, tapping on the helmet or make a circle above the helmet.

6. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Interesting that you should say that. I have not heard of that before but I'll certainly know what it means in the future when I happen to see it.
    Just today, on the Fourth of July, I was riding in Rhode Island on Route 6 when a fellow coming from the opposite direction made an up and down motion with his arm (like he was dribbling a basketball I guess you could say) but I knew what he was telling me "Bring your speed down, there's a cop up ahead". Sure enough, up a little ways was a State Trooper with his radar gun pointed in my direction. That is the signal that I use whenever I warn a fellow motorist that there is a cop up ahead when I am on my bike, up and down with an open palm facing down, to suggest they drop their speed. As an aside, I WAS speeding and I think he just may have saved me from getting a ticket on this quota holiday weekend!! ;-)

7. motordad

motordad Member

Where might you find a guide on signals?

Motordad from Milwaukee (temporarily in Iraq)

8. ugocon

ugocon Active Member

Here in Italy we flash the beams.
    Both cars and bikes.

9. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

Most People Flash their Lights to let others know. I was not aware of another method.

10. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I just flash my driving lights,seems to me that is a lot more noticable then tapping the helmet.