free website stats program Pledge is great cleaner | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pledge is great cleaner

You sound like you know your stuff. Unless Pledge has changed its formula, which I will check just out of curiosity, it used to have silicone, along with Behold polish. The web site says no wax but does not mention silicone. Silicone may not show up on a MSDS sheet if it doesn't harm you. I mean, if its not silicone or wax and it holds up outside in the sun, then what is it? I know that car painters have had to deal with silicone for years, so my post may not be relavent. Your point is taken about wood absorbing liquids and that does add to any problems of contamination and we fight this regularly.

I do work in the petrochemical industry and have a slight knowledge of what makes Pledge work so well for us bikers. So, let me put it this way. Pledge is not intended to hold up under the harsh elements that we experience in an outdoor environment for an extended period of time. For simplicity let's look at it this way.... It's a petrochemical coating ( most likely a phenolic parafin derivative) product that sheds moisture similar to wd40, it has a great shine ingredient, and is easy to apply and eliminates the oily film look of wd40. It will wash off to an extent and needs to be reapplied on metal painted/chrome washed surfaces. But it's like an oxidation protection, being petroleum based, and sheds moisture readily and is very easily used and pretty cheap. Other than that, it's no miracle product, it's just that it is very good for our motorcycle use and it works well for shine, cleaning, and protection for the price. It just has to be reapplied as often as it is deteriorated from detergent washing and the elements.

Last edited:
<<SNIP>>
The web site says no wax but does not mention silicone. Silicone may not show up on a MSDS sheet if it doesn't harm you.
<<SNIP>>

Not to be picky, but ALL ingredients (even inactive ones) need to be shown on MSDS sheets... that is the whole idea behind them. An inactive ingredient in one chemical compound, when mixed with another ingredient in a 2nd compound can become VERY dangerous... so you need to know what is in everything.

Another question for everyone... since chrome is "somewhat" harder to scratch, can i use Pledge on chrome areas without washing it first? I mean, can it be used more like bug and tar remover, for the quick touchups? I plan starting to carry a small can in the saddlebags, to clean up DURING rides...

Anybody here use pledge on their bikes? :lolrolling

It's NOT intended for a long term "cure" but it sure works well and can be reapplied in a short time to look like new again.

I've been using it since 1969 and have repainted not only a car that I used it on but bikes as well with no problems at all with the application.

Ok I am going to take the Pledge Plunge. I just got me a can from the store. Can it be used on the black inner fairing? Where the gauges are?

Back to the WD40...... can it be applied over the entire bike and left for long periods of time? If so, simply wash off when ready to go? Just want to be sure on this as I would like to use it on the engine while it sits during the off months.

Being a petroleum base, it would effect some things like rubber an maybe some types of plastic but on chrome, it would be a good thing for protection . It leaves little residue to be cleaned, but on paint, it's best to apply a coat of wax prior to storage.

Back