free website stats program Pledge is great cleaner | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pledge is great cleaner

And what I mean is. How much do you control where the water goes when it rains? Or when you're riding wet and the air pushes the water around on the bike. I get it that a high pressure washer can cause some serious penetration issues. But trickling water out of a hose onto the bike? Please.

And yes I use Pledge, as well as Mother's Gold products.

It's easiest said that you can ride through rain with minimal problems, however as with many things, these bikes are water resistant in most areas, NOT water proof. Why look for trouble?

Think about it for the most part, the switches etc. on the bars for one are facing rearwards.:s

There is a whole IEC (International Europeon Corsortium) and NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Assn) spec on the subject of water intrusion, ratings, and testing. Imagine your motorcycle being handfuls of different housings and containers being subjected to a level 4X test (water dousing with hose and corrosion testing). I am sure there are some parts that would fail and others that would pass, and the net result is your handlebar controls, relays, switches, fusebox, processor, ECM etc are water resistant and definitely not water proof. A military grade waterproof switch is approx. $70, a standard water resistant commercial grade switch is $7, a consumer grade switch is $3. Which do you think is used in your Harley? :newsmile093:

Keep in mind, if HD used all the best parts for your bike, it really would be a piece of unobtainium that none of us could afford. Just be thankful they somehow worked out thru experience and shrewd design the lowest possible price, to satisfy so many that even today, the motorcycle is still one of the best values in transportation, in cost of ownership and in smiles per mile! :bigsmiley8:

Last edited:
OK so here goes, as far as I can summarize from this excellent thread:read:

Filthy bike scenario:bigsmiley19: – wash it (avoid pressure hose) with soap and water (avoids the need for the gym) or S100 if you want to spend a few bucks/quid and make it easier.

Dry it well – don’t borrow your lady’s hairdryer – she may already harbour dark thoughts about your scoot devotion and this’ll make it way worse:wall.

Polish/detail it with Pledge – Lemon, Orange, even Grapefruit if they do it so long as it’s Citrus and full of Scoot Vitamin C but AVOID contact on rubber.

Winter lay up – spray WD40 on chrome and unpainted metal but AVOID tubing/rubber/plastic, Wax on paintwork.

First clean of season – Simple Green or S100 to get rid of any residue/remainder of WD, wash/dry/take the Pledge and you’re set:D.

And always use Micro-fibre cloths.

Does that sum it up ok for a good regime for keeping your steed looking sharp? Have I left anything important out? Can I sleep easy at night, knowing in my heart, that at least I did my best??? :D

I know Top Dressing pilots that use it on their planes windows as it helps the water just bead off real quick

OK so here goes, as far as I can summarize from this excellent thread:read:

Filthy bike scenario:bigsmiley19: – wash it (avoid pressure hose) with soap and water (avoids the need for the gym) or S100 if you want to spend a few bucks/quid and make it easier.

Dry it well – don’t borrow your lady’s hairdryer – she may already harbour dark thoughts about your scoot devotion and this’ll make it way worse:wall.

Polish/detail it with Pledge – Lemon, Orange, even Grapefruit if they do it so long as it’s Citrus and full of Scoot Vitamin C but AVOID contact on rubber.

Winter lay up – spray WD40 on chrome and unpainted metal but AVOID tubing/rubber/plastic, Wax on paintwork.

First clean of season – Simple Green or S100 to get rid of any residue/remainder of WD, wash/dry/take the Pledge and you’re set:D.

And always use Micro-fibre cloths.

Does that sum it up ok for a good regime for keeping your steed looking sharp? Have I left anything important out? Can I sleep easy at night, knowing in my heart, that at least I did my best??? :D

All good, but you forgot the one item....... Man sits in chair with cold beer and cigar; woman does the cleaning! :bigsmiley20:

O' I'm am so dead!!!!!!
Ugly John

I don't know if a pressure washer had a role in this or not. But, I PLEDGE to be more careful with water around my bike.
This was discovered only because I removed my tank's dash panel to mount a new ignition switch mod.

corrosion.jpg

My soulution is to Dremmel off as much corrosion as possible. Acid treat what's left. Powdercoat the plate.

All good, but you forgot the one item....... Man sits in chair with cold beer and cigar; woman does the cleaning! :bigsmiley20:

O' I'm am so dead!!!!!!
Ugly John

Now you see UG - that's why folks aren't allowed to carry in Her Royal Brittanic Majesty's patch of God's Earth. My wife might just put me down :D:D:D:D
Just kiddin' - she's the best but I think I'd better stick to cleaning the scoot myself and enjoy the beer afterwards

cdn-Bigfoot, that picture of yours is worth a thousand words. Who would have thought! I know that I'll be carefull where I spray the hose from now on.

Back