free website stats program Pinging Dolt and Bubbie | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinging Dolt and Bubbie

Mongo1958

Hey guys,

It's been a while since my Cam and pipes wre installed. I have noticed that when I check the air filter, there is no oil trapped in the filter any more.
Before the Cam and pipes, there would be oil in the filter. Note, I also had a new oil pump installed too and a Dyno tune.
I'm happy with the way the bike performs but what changed to cause it to quit accumulating oil into the filter?

Thanks.
WAP.gif

I know you're looking for responses from specific people but...
More airflow and better burning of all the stuff that was going into your breather would be my first guess IF absolutely nothing else changed.
Are you coincidentally running less oil than before, too?

Hey guys,
It's been a while since my Cam and pipes wre installed. I have noticed that when I check the air filter, there is no oil trapped in the filter any more.
Before the Cam and pipes, there would be oil in the filter. Note, I also had a new oil pump installed too and a Dyno tune.
I'm happy with the way the bike performs but what changed to cause it to quit accumulating oil into the filter?

Thanks.

Why was the oil pump replaced? What oil pump was installed? I suspect that the new oil pump is scavenging better and leaving less oil in the crank case. No doubt a proper tune has resulted in more effective combustion which is burning more of that nasty oil mist, etc. that is being recirculated into your combustion chamber as well. There could be other reasons as well but just be glad the mess is gone.:D

Dan, no less than oil than I usually run. And thanks for he reply.
Dolt, the Dealer said that the pump had some scoring and there were some plastic bits missing from the cam chan tensioner.
I had the OEM pump installed.
WAP.gif

Dolt, the Dealer said that the pump had some scoring and there were some plastic bits missing from the cam chan tensioner. I had the OEM pump installed.

Chain tensioner pieces from an '09 model? Very unusual and if that was the case, were the tensioners changed? Did you see the tensioners? Did you get the old oil pump? Was the cam plate scored?

Sounds like the motor is running good but the above questions are ones that should be asked when a tech starts suggesting that an oil pump should be replaced.:s

Chain tensioner pieces from an '09 model? Very unusual and if that was the case, were the tensioners changed? Did you see the tensioners? Did you get the old oil pump? Was the cam plate scored?

Sounds like the motor is running good but the above questions are ones that should be asked when a tech starts suggesting that an oil pump should be replaced.:s

Yes, the Tensioners and the oil pump were replaces. I was told that the cam plate was OK.

Anyway, the motor runs great and I'm very pleased with it.
I was just wondering why the oil quit accumulating in the Air Filter.
I'm also wondering if there is less crank case pressure due to the Cam and tune.

Oh, BTW My gas mileage went down to the mid 30's, I guess everything has its trade offs.

Yes, the Tensioners and the oil pump were replaces. I was told that the cam plate was OK.

Anyway, the motor runs great and I'm very pleased with it.
I was just wondering why the oil quit accumulating in the Air Filter.
I'm also wondering if there is less crank case pressure due to the Cam and tune.

Oh, BTW My gas mileage went down to the mid 30's, I guess everything has its trade offs.

Your mileage should be better. Do you have a fuel management system? Have you had the motor dyno tuned?

Mongo, glad to hear you're ride is running good. Can I ask what the mileage on your bike was when you had the work done?

Mongo, glad to hear you're ride is running good. Can I ask what the mileage on your bike was when you had the work done?
It was at the end of last year. I'm thinking though a lot of cobwebs here but if I remember right, it was about 35K Miles.

Back