free website stats program Pingel Electric Shifter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pingel Electric Shifter

Brian, Thanks for the information, will pass it on to Rodney. He is getting around pretty good with the prothesis and getting a little itchy to get back in the wind.

Brian, Thanks for the information, will pass it on to Rodney. He is getting around pretty good with the prothesis and getting a little itchy to get back in the wind.

Glad to help out. He will be surprised how simple it will be. Then all of a sudden, there's that 'ol' feeling back again.......RIDING!!!!!

BRIAN

Hey this is a good thread for impaired riders who still want to ride, but need an assist either shifting or throttle control. I remember thumb throttle setup was used for an Australian racer who was campaigning for championship points in the 90's, could hardly move his injured wrist that was broken in several places...he was able to continue to race...! :newsmile04:

That would be one Michael Sidney Doohan.The guy who won the World 500cc Championship title in '94,'95,'96,'97 and '98.

He used to use a thumb operated brake because of the massive foot and leg injuries he sustained in a crash at Assen in '92.Basically no articulation of his right ankle.

Some pictures of the shifter would probably make it a little easier to visualize eh?
I think Pingel makes it look rather well on the bike. You have to look close to see the shift buttons in front of the left grip.
Geezo....took me an hour to figure how to post from my album!

BRIAN
gold4484-albums-pingel+shifter-picture2840-pingel.jpg

gold4484-albums-pingel+shifter-picture2841-pingel1.jpg

gold4484-albums-pingel+shifter-picture2842-pingel2.jpg

That would be one Michael Sidney Doohan.The guy who won the World 500cc Championship title in '94,'95,'96,'97 and '98.

He used to use a thumb operated brake because of the massive foot and leg injuries he sustained in a crash at Assen in '92.Basically no articulation of his right ankle.

Thanks Biscuit, those are nice features...a thumb operated brake and electric Pingle shifing for someone with physical impairments but still wanted to ride. Wonder if the thumb operated brake was documented and if anyone has brought a version to the aftermarket? :33:

And well done Gold4484 regarding the pictures, keep in touch regarding how they perform in day to day use. I had heard they were just the thing in racing, but never really thought about routine day to day use on street and touring use. :small3d018:

Still would be nice to know if thumb throttle or braking is an option for physically impaired. Thought that was pretty cool that a tuner would contrive something for a World Champion racer and not get it somehow available on the open market. :33:

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I'm reading the installation instructions. Pingel highly suggests bench testing the unit, especially the kill duration, which is preset at the factory at 90 milliseconds but can be adjusted up or down from 40 to 140, or thereabouts. They also warn about using the buttons while cornering (leaning), using the buttons too frequently within the first half hour of starting the bike because the battery has to recharge itself after starting and can be drained by overuse of the unit if used within this crucial half hour. Of course, this means that if you shift too much within 30 minutes of starting the bike your battery will go dead. ?????

So...does anyone have practical experience with any of these problems? I'm going to go ahead and install the unit but I'm keeping my funky shift peg on there so I don't "overuse" the Pingel.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I'm reading the installation instructions. Pingel highly suggests bench testing the unit, especially the kill duration, which is preset at the factory at 90 milliseconds but can be adjusted up or down from 40 to 140, or thereabouts. They also warn about using the buttons while cornering (leaning), using the buttons too frequently within the first half hour of starting the bike because the battery has to recharge itself after starting and can be drained by overuse of the unit if used within this crucial half hour. Of course, this means that if you shift too much within 30 minutes of starting the bike your battery will go dead. ?????

So...does anyone have practical experience with any of these problems? I'm going to go ahead and install the unit but I'm keeping my funky shift peg on there so I don't "overuse" the Pingel.

WOW! I can't find that suggestion anywhere in my instructions. That doesn't make sense to me. I can leave my house, and within 15 minutes, and many stop signs, traffic lights, school buses, deer, and whatever, I can have MANY downshifts and upshifts. I have NEVER experienced anything like that!

One thing that happened to me in the beginning that I learned real fast is, don't leave your thumb over the downshift button while going into a curve, and go over a sunken manhole cover. I just about flipped out when it downshifted all of a sudden! I wish I could have seen my face. heh heh heh
You should be fine with it.

BRIAN

Right about in the middle of page 3 of the 4 page instruction booklet: "Prolonged repeated operation of the shifter (actuating the shifter repeatedly in rapid succession beyond normal use) can discharge the motorcycle battery and damage the shift cylinder and/or the control module. The normal battery takes 30-60 minutes to recharge after starting the motorcycle so use the shifter sparingly in this time."

I'm in no big hurry to install this thing. I can't walk. I can get on the bike and when I come to a stop I can hold it upright ok, but when I get to where I'm going I still need the crutches because my ankle won't hold my body weight. Guess I can wait a few more months...

Thanks Brian.

Back