free website stats program penn-foster motorcycle repair school | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

penn-foster motorcycle repair school

Has anyone heard of this school?? It is advertised in a number of bike magazines as a quality motorcycle repair school (online). Thinking about enrolling. I don't know a lot about the inner workings of a motorcycle but want to be able to do a lot of repairs on my own in the coming years. I am hoping this will allow me to do a lot of the work myself and spend the labor cost on bling.. What do you guys think...The school cost $600.00 and last about 8 months....

Jack Klarich. i'm thinking he gives good advice

I work with alot of online service classes. There nothing like getting your hands on the bike and doing the work yourself to learn and if you have a buddy to help, its all good.

I belive that with a basic set of skills, some decent hand tools and a Service Manual, most of us can get through minor repairs and parts R&R. I don't think a school will give ya a lot of benifit with this. I think you are either Mechanically able or not, if not, don't mess with things. Me ........I ain't got a clue when it comes to Computors, this stuff baffels me to no end.
The other problem with the inner workings on modern Harley's is that there are a lot of "special" tools that are required. When you go through the Service manual, you'll see what I mean, lets say you decide to change you cams, if you gotta buy the tools, including the bench press, you can plan on spending $500-$600 bucks for tools that you might only use once. It's cheaper to have a shop do stuff like this, that kinda limits you to minor stuff. Good luck wrenchin'.

I would buy the service manual, electrical manual, parts manual and then buy some good tools, ft/lb, in/lb torque wrenches , 3/8, 1/4, 1/2 drive socket sets, open & ring spanner sets, screwdrivers, torx set, allen head set, pliers, circlip pliers, etc ect. Then the workshop starts, vice , drill press, lathe, welders, etc etc LOL sorry. That $600 should be spent on decent tools because the manual will step you through most repairs and servicing of your Harley.
Before you know it you will be adding a BB kit, cams, pipes, etc etc ?
Good luck and enjoy.
Merry Christmas

While $600 is a lot of money, you really cannot put dollar value on "accumulated" knowledge. Guidance saves time and achieves focus and concentrates your learning. While I agree that having a manual and doing research working with 100's of experienced friends here at the HDTimeline forum is a big plus, it does not hurt or take away from the VALUE of structured learning. It is not for everyone, but review some evaluations of the course from those whom have attended AND moved on USING that knowledge successfully. JMHO...:s

Back