free website stats program penn-foster motorcycle repair school | Harley Davidson Forums

penn-foster motorcycle repair school

rperk60

Has anyone heard of this school?? It is advertised in a number of bike magazines as a quality motorcycle repair school (online). Thinking about enrolling. I don't know a lot about the inner workings of a motorcycle but want to be able to do a lot of repairs on my own in the coming years. I am hoping this will allow me to do a lot of the work myself and spend the labor cost on bling.. What do you guys think...The school cost $600.00 and last about 8 months....

I would suggest riding a 2010 Harley, buy a shop manual read cover to cover and you may have the knowledge you desire. As to $600.00 for tuition I not sure of the education received, for most schools are many thousands.

I think I would pass, buy a factory manual, continue reading and posting here, JMO

I would google it and try and get some reviews before I shell out 600.00 - like the other members said -buy a factory manual read it and ask questions right here on this forum - lots of well informed people that have helped me as well as so many others -

The on-line course might give you a better basic understanding of a motorcycle engine and it probably would be a lot of fun, it's not going to make a wrench out of you though, buying HD manual and $550.00 worth of parts and installing them yourself would be a better investment in my mine, there is a wealth of information on this forum and a lot of very patience knowledgeable people here that can help you get the basic's down. And remember the only stuiped question is the one that is not asked.

I know someone who did this school and material is just like reading a manual. The tools they say you will recieve are flea market type. If you wish to go to school for anything motorcycle related check out WyoTech, they have diffrent campuses across the country.
Or just buy a manual and read it that is all the Penn-Foster is.

I agree with Chopper on this one. Buy a shop manual, which will save you $540 or $550 over the tuition, buy some parts and do the work yourself. You can get all the how to information you need here. Start by checking the Self Help section and as Chopper says the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Buy The manual and I have heard from others on another forum that the DVD "Fix my Hog" is a good tool as well to help you do your own wrenching.

I know someone who did this school and material is just like reading a manual. The tools they say you will recieve are flea market type. If you wish to go to school for anything motorcycle related check out WyoTech, they have diffrent campuses across the country.

MMI here in Phoenix or Orlando are Motorcyle repair schools as well. One of my neighbor is a guidence conselor for MMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Chopper is a wise mechanic. (I didn't want to refer to him as a 'wise old biker'). When I started reading here, I knew only basic mechanic stuff. I knew how to make a bicycle work and I knew some very basic mechanic 'stuff' from passing tools to my dad and brother, (mostly the brother) as I was growing up. If I was 'helping' my dad & brother, it got me out of house work. From this site, I have become quite comfortable tinkering on the Harley's. I do most of our services now, (we took his bike to a local indy mechanic for the 10k service), but with the manual and some reading here, I did my 10k service.

I'm kind of proud to say that my bike hasn't been in the shop for the last 3 of the 4 years I have had it. It may sound cheesy, but I learned 99.8% of everything I know from reading this site. The other .02% may be from the school of hard knocks, as I may get something accomplished only to come in and read a 'better' way (may also be known as an 'easier') way to do something. :panic

Yes, I have had a couple of mild panic attacks thinking that I have bitten off more than I could chew, but since I put the easy pull clutch in & I didn't have any left over parts that I wasn't supposed to have & it still works, I think I have done okay.

I used to think my husband was nuts for buying a service manual for everything we would get whether it was motorcycles, four wheelers or lawn mowers, we have the manual for it, now I know why. :s

I did the Home Study program for $600.00, it's fine if you want to tinker with your bike and maybe your friends. The tools I received were Sears Craftsman and Stanley, the digital meter was a cheap one. I did the course about 6 years ago. I already knew GW's and was building trikes when I did the course.
Now I'm attending Wyotech in Ormond Beach for HD.
:FLORIDA
I still have the reading material from the program and if you pay the shipping, I'll send you the material. Save $600.00 and read the material in your spare time.

Back