free website stats program P-o-t-a-t-o | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

P-o-t-a-t-o

The new Twin Cam engine is not designed to 'lope' and be happy with the sound you have. A low idiling TC is jerking itself to death inside the cases. The EVO was the last Harley engine that could almost 'lope' but is much happier with a 2K rpm idle. The Shovel Healds and earlier could indeed get down to such a low idle that your could hear each 'Ka Chuff' the engine made. I sure do wish I could afford you TC owners problem. Fossil

I have a TC and I like the sound it makes. I really don't spend a lot of time sitting around listening to my bike idle. Much more fun riding it.
I do, however, carry a baked potato around in my left saddle bag when I ride if that counts.

You might get a modern day TC 96 to idle down below 950 or so rpms but it won't be easy. 1000 rpms + or -50 is pretty much where they are programed to run in order to pass EPA guidelines using electronic fuel injection as well as kick out enough juice to keep them charging. One of the cooling features of the new TC 96 engines is that they squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons to cool them off. To do that they need to idle no lower than 950 rpms. Some people like to say "Harleys never change" but the fact is that over the last couple of years they have changed quit a bit. They still use a style of engine that is over the hill but they have improved upon it considerably with such things as fuel injection and computer modules etc. Granted, many of the things they have done have in effect detuned the TC 96s, but that is the law. Now, the next big thing will be when they drop the air cooled engines in favor of water jackets and radiators. I can hear the moaning now...but it is coming just the same. The next generation does not share out love of carburators and loping Harley exhaust notes. We old scudders have seen our day in the sunshine and we should gracefully step aside as the next generation steps up. One last time-"Potato-Potato-Potato". Ah, that felt good.

Back