free website stats program P-o-t-a-t-o | Harley Davidson Forums

P-o-t-a-t-o

walleye

Contributor
Is there anything we can do to the new EFI bikes to make the old "Potato" sound from our rides? I loved the old carbed bikes that sounded like they were about to die but kept on keeping on. Most of you know what I am talking about. I think I know the answer, but if there is a way, I would like to know. Any cams or anything that would at least resemble that old addicting HD sound??:D

Loping idle likely not a good thing for modern full EFI bike because everything runs off the battery/charging circuit and and low alternator output would start to make things go south if not high enough to get float charge back on battery just tapped for up to 200A for 4-5 sec power drain from just starting your bike.

But yeah, I like the sound of carbed bike, and even my gal says it sounds like it is ready to die, but likes that slow engine cadence.

There have been other posts' regardjng this issue and the higher idle keeps the oil pressure up enough to properly lubricate the entire motor. No way around it.

1. Install an amp and upgraded speakers to handle a lot of bass
2. Download some type of file with the exact "potato" sound you're looking for
3. Burn file to CD
4. Insert CD into stereo
5. Turn stereo up loud enough to drown out the sound of the actual motor
6. Smile and ride away

Kind of like the Japanese bike owners every day try'n to make it sound like a Harley? 04 Custom:newsmile108: you gotta love the LOPE!

no ya cant you cant get the low idle because of the requirement to charge the battery .. also the EVO have more of the true lope esp because all lobes are on one cam and more overlap

Loping idle likely not a good thing for modern full EFI bike because everything runs off the battery/charging circuit and and low alternator output would start to make things go south if not high enough to get float charge back on battery just tapped for up to 200A for 4-5 sec power drain from just starting your bike.

But yeah, I like the sound of carbed bike, and even my gal says it sounds like it is ready to die, but likes that slow engine cadence.

Hit the nail on the head. Too many want to get that sound at the expense of the electronics, best off to leave what the factory did alone IMO

Back