free website stats program Oil temp difference? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp difference?

This topic has come up before and is a important concern to many. My comment is think about Police duty Harleys or Shriners. The only addition to bike other than stock is a oil cooler. I have only seen one time a Harley FLH getting hot it started to spew oil out of crankcase vent. This was after a couple hours at a experience motorcycle class that involved a lot of idling. The owners only concern was that unfortunately he had to leave class and go riding to cool bike down. So unless a heavily modified engine, severely hotter than normal temp concerns on a stock bike, there would start to be a performance problem and if this was happening riding you might be in trouble. Otherwise I would not want to be the one sitting on a Harley long enough for it to be over heating idling.

Head and cylinder temps will be higher than oil temp. Check head temp near the exhaust side, it will be hottest there and not unusual to see 300* under certain conditions. That is why fans like the Wards fans are so effective; cooling the heads cools the oil and everything else.

Thanks for the info. i needed sort of something to go by to make sure i wasent getting it to hot..after about a week now of the digital infared gun ive checked every part on the bike at least 10 times..lol i dont have any problems so i can put it up with the rest of my tools i probably will never use again...
Again thanks for the help..

Back