free website stats program Oil temp difference? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp difference?

16RoadUltra

A friend of mine has a newer Heritage with the TC88/fuel injected. His oil temp runs so hot that after a 5-10 mile ride, you really can't hold your hand on the side of the oil tank. My Fatboy (Evo80/carb) on the other hand runs much cooler. Normal for his to get that hot while mine doesn't? Oil levels are correct, btw.

You don't say how new the Heritage is.So I am guessing that it is new enough to be in the EPA mandate era.Runs lean and hot!

The TC does run a lot leaner= hotter to meet EPA, you can tell your friend to try synthetic oil, an oil cooler an add some fuel to cool it down
index.html
Look here also RJ is a sponsor here and you will get a discount

True temperatures need to be taken by gauge or an infra-gun... Hand feel (ouch) is not an accurate way.

Some tanks High above the motor Like Softails, could use More heat as they seem to Hold Moisture in the tanks. 220/230 is not toooooo Hot (ideal) but will feel HOT to the hand...

JMHO

signed....BUBBIE

just on the heat of the oil subject..my softail oiltank was really warm to the touch.. i have a lot of r/c equipment that i run a lot and 130 degrees will burn you. so putting a fluke infared heat gun and pointing it in my tank at the actual oil and it running 170 degrees at a idle for 15 minutes at 93 degrees outside..im thinking thats not really hot at all considering...im not a master at nothing this is all just IMHO.....please correct me if im wrong !!!

LIke Bubbie says, 220*-230* is not too hot. I have two Harleys, both with built motors. I can tell a difference in the way the motor sounds and performs when oil temps pass 200*; the motors are just happier at the higher temps. The difference will show up on a dyno as well. A pull at oil temps of 180* will usually show lower numbers that a pull at 220*. Once all the parts are well lubricated, metal expansion done, etc., everything plays well together better.;)

LIke Bubbie says, 220*-230* is not too hot. I have two Harleys, both with built motors. I can tell a difference in the way the motor sounds and performs when oil temps pass 200*; the motors are just happier at the higher temps. The difference will show up on a dyno as well. A pull at oil temps of 180* will usually show lower numbers that a pull at 220*. Once all the parts are well lubricated, metal expansion done, etc., everything plays well together better.;)
so if im checking my oil temp. is that a direct reflection of engine temp. or will engine temp. be higher than oil temp.?

An air cooled engine has widely varying temps. in different spots. Heads are hottest, then cylinders then cases. Use your IR temp gun to check around. I carried mine with me for a while and checked different parts after different riding conditions. Then the novelty wore off.

i will do that but as you said im aware if the different parts carrying more heat..but where should it be checked ..to say right here at this point if its over xx degrees then its too hot...where is that location at

Head and cylinder temps will be higher than oil temp. Check head temp near the exhaust side, it will be hottest there and not unusual to see 300* under certain conditions. That is why fans like the Wards fans are so effective; cooling the heads cools the oil and everything else.

Back