free website stats program Oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure

Biffy08

Hello all. On my 2008 Ultra Classic with 21K miles, stock motor, running Mobil 1 20W-50 syn oil, what should the oil pressure reading be on the gauge and do you think the gauge is accurate? Thanks!:s

Greater than 35 running hot. Slightly above 0 idling hot. I think the gauge is accurate enough, as long as the oil light stays off.

Thanks!:D Great. I think I am good. But I did forget to ask this:

If an engine is overfilled with oil, I am assuming the oil pressure reading would be greater than a normal reading than, if at or below the correct level?

No overfilling will not cause the pressure to be high,if it was low and I mean really low you may start to lose oil pressure at higher speeds.Over filling will cause oil to start puking out of the air cleaner.

Gotcha! When I first got the bike, and it was used, I think the previous owner over-filled with engine oil. The reason I thought the pressure would be higher if it was over-filled, is because the pressure gauge was giving a higher reading at idle and speed. Fortunately it was not puking out of the breather. Just to reiterate, with new oil, the pressure gauge is reading a lower reading. :small3d031: Any thoughts on this one?

Gotcha! When I first got the bike, and it was used, I think the previous owner over-filled with engine oil. The reason I thought the pressure would be higher if it was over-filled, is because the pressure gauge was giving a higher reading at idle and speed. Fortunately it was not puking out of the breather. Just to reiterate, with new oil, the pressure gauge is reading a lower reading. :small3d031: Any thoughts on this one?

VISCOSITY of oil makes a difference , thickness and temperature of oil makes q BIG difference in oil pressure....

20/50 Redline oil;
My 09 TC King, runs about High of 48/50 lbs when first started, Cold Oil IF cold is here in Az...:lolrolling

In about a minute of the ride, it drops back to 40+ side and remains there until HOT then to 40#... Usally stayed there for the riding (out side city stop and go).

Idle at normal ride temps, 12/15 lbs and stop and go traffic HOT, low as a few # and holding up to 10/12 is not unusual. NEVER a Flicker of the Idiot Light though.:D

IF Light flickers or comes on at idle, raise the idle speed a bit and the light SHOULD go out. IF NOT Shut it OFF....

No oil pressure first noticed, Idiot light on, then CLATTER of the lifters happens...
IF you never heard this? You will Know it when it happens...Ticking then TICKING/CLATTER big time in a matter of about 10/20 seconds of No Oil Pressure...

signed....BUBBIE

Too much oil does not always= higher pressure, tho the return side of the pump will have a hard time scavenging the extra oil= possible leakage at any gasket surface and venting to the air cleaner. If in doubt about the pressure, warm it up and use a master gauge at the oil sender, hot you should show at least 5 lbs at idle:s

Just a little info here, If you are running a full systhetic oil your pressure may show a little higher than with dino-oil. My pressure is usually around 40psi running and 12psi at hot idle with synth. With dino-oil it is down around 35psi running and 5psi at hot idle. If you are over full you will notice the smell of hot oil on deceleration because of the back pressure increase venting into the air filter, very slight scent but nothing to worry about.

Back