free website stats program Oil Pressure? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure?

No, Glider is talking about the same port I discussed in my first post above. Glider is suggesting that there may be something besides the plastic bits from tensioner shoes (since you don't have any) that is jamming the plunger in the port. This is located in the cam support plate. Would not hurt to check that. Without the tensioner there, it is actually easier to get out. Just remove the roll pin and then do what I said above to remove the plunger. Clean and replace. Again, if you have the time, consider the Baisley spring.

TQ

Sorry TQ, I didn't see you already posted about the cam plate in your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry TQ, I didn't see you already posted about the cam plate in your reply.

NP. You make a good suggestion that the plunger operation should be check anyway even without a chain driven cams system. The symptoms strongly suggest a problem with the way the pressure relief is working. On the gear drive units, it is much easier to do this since the tensioner does not have to be removed first.

TQ

I ordered a Baisley spring and installed it yesterday. I have about 60lbs oil pressure at start up. Using Mobil 1 20-50 syn oil. Haven't rode it to get it hot yet. Oil pressure should be about 5-7 lbs higher.
ADE45BEA4D.jpg

See if I can get it right this time....The wording is a little blury. What it says is I cut a slot in a piece of 5/16 O.D. x .049 wall alumn. tubing to help push the spring in and hold it in place while I drove the spring pin in place. Worked great.
7CECD7CDD9.jpg

I ordered a Baisley spring and installed it yesterday. I have about 60lbs oil pressure at start up. Using Mobil 1 20-50 syn oil. Haven't rode it to get it hot yet. Oil pressure should be about 5-7 lbs higher.
ADE45BEA4D.jpg

I assume you installed the LMR-002, if so, that is about what I got with new synthetic oil, and cold. As the oil heats and when you have some miles on it, it will drop. Also, over time it will drop too, not returning to these high number even with oil change (although still pretty high afterward with cold engine/oil).

TQ

Last edited:
Your welcome Glider...It is the LMR-002. The start up oil pressure, after I look at it again, is more like 45-50. It is a Harley oil gauge and the needle is in the middle between 30-60 at idel. If I rev it up it gets real close to 60. Should be o.k.

Back