free website stats program Oil Pressure? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure?

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
Went for a 130 mile round trip ride today. About 20 miles out I noticed my oil pressure was reading about 10-15lbs. As I gave it gas the pressure would go down, as I let off the gas the oil pressure would go up. My buddy and I stop to check it out. I turned of the bike and we discussed the problem for about 5 mins. When I started the bike the oil was back up to 30 or so lbs. Was fine for the rest of the trip there. On the way back it was fine until we stopped to have a drink of water. When we got back on the road I noticed again the oil pressure was low again. It stayed that way all the way home. Dosen't seem to be any damage to the bike. I don't know if it is my sending unit, oil guage or oil pump. Has anyone else had this problem?????

Went for a 130 mile round trip ride today. About 20 miles out I noticed my oil pressure was reading about 10-15lbs. As I gave it gas the pressure would go down, as I let off the gas the oil pressure would go up. My buddy and I stop to check it out. I turned of the bike and we discussed the problem for about 5 mins. When I started the bike the oil was back up to 30 or so lbs. Was fine for the rest of the trip there. On the way back it was fine until we stopped to have a drink of water. When we got back on the road I noticed again the oil pressure was low again. It stayed that way all the way home. Dosen't seem to be any damage to the bike. I don't know if it is my sending unit, oil guage or oil pump. Has anyone else had this problem?????

I would immediately pull the nose cone (cam cover) off and check the tensioners. When they start to go, the bits of plastic get into things including the plunger port on the oil pump pressure relief. Even if the shoes are not completely shot, I would suggest pulling off the outer tensioner, knocking the roll pin out and getting the spring and plunger out of the relief port so you can clean it out. I use a popsicle stick shoved up inside the plunger to get it to come out. Clean the port out with a spray cleaner like carb cleaner and then swab it with an over size long Q-tip and some mineral spirits. Inspect the plunger to make sure it looks OK. If you have time, I would consider ordering and installing the Baisley Spring (LMR-002). Will increase the oil pressure 10-15%.

TQ

I have converted to a gear drive. Should I still do what what said?

Well, that eliminates the worry about the tensioner shoes. But there is something causing the surging. You need to figure out what is causing that. I suggest starting with a pressure gauge and rigging that up to the sending unit port to make sure the pressure is OK. If it is, I would suspect the sending unit. If not, I would worry about the pump.

TQ

+1 for the pressure gage. Also, for the price of a filter and peace of mind, you might want to cut it open, spread the paper out and check down in the folds for anything metalic, or foreign to the system.

Possibility of a bad sending unit or it could be something stuck in the bypass valve keeping it from seating properly. May be a good idea to remove it and clean it out good.

Possibility of a bad sending unit or it could be something stuck in the bypass valve keeping it from seating properly. May be a good idea to remove it and clean it out good.

Are you talking about the valve in the oil pump? If so where do I find it?

Are you talking about the valve in the oil pump? If so where do I find it?

No, Glider is talking about the same port I discussed in my first post above. Glider is suggesting that there may be something besides the plastic bits from tensioner shoes (since you don't have any) that is jamming the plunger in the port. This is located in the cam support plate. Would not hurt to check that. Without the tensioner there, it is actually easier to get out. Just remove the roll pin and then do what I said above to remove the plunger. Clean and replace. Again, if you have the time, consider the Baisley spring.

TQ

Last edited:
No, Glider is talking about the same port I discussed in my first post above. Glider is suggesting that there may be something besides the plastic bits from tensioner shoes (since you don't have any) that is jamming the plunger in the port. This is located in the cam support plate. Would not hurt to check that. Without the tensioner there, it is actually easier to get out. Just remove the roll pin and then do what I said above to remove the plunger. Clean and replace. Again, if you have the time, consider the Baisley spring.

TQ

O.K. Thanks for the help. I will check it out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back