free website stats program Oil light on prior to starting on both bikes?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil light on prior to starting on both bikes??

Your spot-on Iceman24,these r our first HDs,have had sports bikes prior and used forums before,but never came across as much knowledge and friendly advice as on here,even if some of Qs r simple fixs or more complicated answers,no judging or ridiculing of folk...its a good job for me!!!!!!!!!!!! ha,ha, take care

Any ideas why it does this?

MY 06 sportster does this and I like you just start and leave IDLE until I know all x-tra oil is pumped back into the oil tank...

A lot of people will check the oil COLD and add oil..... THEN it will be OVER FULL when started and warmed...
CAREFUL.......

I've been told that it is :
LEAKING BACK PAST A ONE WAY RETURN VALVE????? settling into sump of engine...

MINE always shows low when i check cold oil level BEFORE starting.... especially after sitting a few day.... after a few minutes it is right back where it should be...

ALWAYS CHECK OIL HOT,,, RELY ON THAT MEASUREMENT while HOT as correct amount of oil in bike.... THEN and ONLY THEN ADD OIL AS NECESSARY....

signed....BUBBIE

The point of the oil light is to warn you of low oil pressure so the real time to worry about it is if it comes on when the engine is running
if it does come on when engine is running kill the engine immediately and investigate the cause prior to restarting
however it may flicker on and off if your tick over is set to low

Brian

I've found on my 09 Heritage that if it sits for weeks the oil tank is empty and all the oil is in the engine. I start it and idle it for a bit and it pumps oil back into the tank. I was told this was normal but now I'm not sure.

Hi Geezer - that must be a concern to be starting up your motor when the oil tank is empty? If you've been told that's normal, then what happens if the day cometh when the unknown amount of oil in the cold engine is not enough? I'd get it checked at the dealers. JMO :newsmile047:

Hi Geezer - that must be a concern to be starting up your motor when the oil tank is empty? If you've been told that's normal, then what happens if the day cometh when the unknown amount of oil in the cold engine is not enough? I'd get it checked at the dealers. JMO :newsmile047:
I always check the oil when I park the bike after a ride. I don't add oil after a cold check, only after a hot check but so far I've never had to add any. I knew there was oil in it so I idled it with the dipstick out so I could watch the return line and it went back in the tank quickly. The funny thing is my wife's 09 Deluxe does the same thing. I was just in the shop, checked oil in both bikes and the oil in the tanks is way down again. I could see it with a flashlight but it barely touched the dipsticks. They have sat since December 1st. I think I'll call a few dealers to see if they all say it's normal. However, I have more faith in the answers I get on this forum.

The point of the oil light is to warn you of low oil pressure so the real time to worry about it is if it comes on when the engine is running
if it does come on when engine is running kill the engine immediately and investigate the cause prior to restarting
however it may flicker on and off if your tick over is set to low

Brian

Alrite Brian,i should of realised when both bikes were the same,im blaming confusion on my swine flu jab this am!! Dont forget Wallace Rally in Stirling,27-31 May,Caledonia Harley Club,Danny Mc:newsmile047:

We all get a brain freeze now and then Danny.

Thatll be the time you go out to the shed to get something and when you get there you forgot why you went
never happend to me:bigsmiley23:

Back