free website stats program Oil Leak problem... | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak problem...

FLHXSrider

Contributor
I have a question about my 2008 FLHT. It has approximately 45,000Km or 28,000mi. It has a Stage 1 SE Air Cleaner and slip-on Vance and Hines exhaust. The bike normally runs good although I have had intermittent problems with starting for the fast time in the day, but after it starts its usually fine. I recently changed the oil (and put too much in, but didn't realize it at the time).

A day later I noticed there was approximately 1oz of oil sitting on the crankcase (just under the air cleaner) after it was parked following a 20 minute hiway ride. I couldn't see it dripping from anywhere. The temp outside was approximately 70F during the ride. I took the air cleaner cover off and the air cleaner itself had oil residue throughout and the cover had a dirty film of oil on the bottom inside. The air cleaner has never been cleaned/serviced (my bad).

I then took it to the dealer to have it looked at. There's still 1 year of ESP left. Unfortunately the dealer says they've been really busy so they haven't looked at it yet, its been there for 6 working days. They're supposed to look at it on the 4th. I'm a bit worried cause I'm going on holidays starting on the 7th and want to take it on a 2,100km or 1,300mi trip. After reading this site it looks as though the problem may just be due to me overfilling it with oil when I changed it.

My question is, should I just take it home before they look at it and save myself some money (for them to drain some oil or the price of the ESP deductible, $50 I think), or should I just have them look at it and pay the price since too much oil isn't likely covered by the ESP plan?

Thanks for the advice. Next time I will just check this site first before I panic.

I forgot to mention I was riding solo and there were no high revs during the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next oil change try 1/2 qt less oil, The cranck case holds about 1 qt of oil that does not get drained during an oil change, or you could change your filter now Always check your oil cold and hot after a ride, hot it should be in the cross hatch area on the stick but not quite to the full mark:s

You asked "should you just take it home and drain the oil", if it were me I would take it home change the oil and inspect the air filter. If it is not a K&N then buy a new one. Also agree with Jack put in 1/2 quart less and check level when hot.

inspect the air filter. If it is not a K&N then buy a new one.

But if I have the SE Stage 1 Air Filter, P/N# 29260-08 (which can be cleaned with K&N air filter spray) do I really need a new filter?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

You really do not need to change the oil again. Take you bike home and remove the Excess oil by using a Mighty Max pump or a siphon tube. Remove the air filter and clean it with carb cleaner, like B12. Spray it onto the inside surface of the air filiter pushing the contamination out opposite the way it came in. Put it all back together and ride.
Note: do not get this stuff on a painted surface.
0117.gif

Thanks Mongo1958. I was just thinking about siphoning the excess oil out as the oil is new and is Amsoil so its not cheap to change. I had no idea I could just use carb cleaner. I'm sure its probably cheaper.

It's a common problem with the Blow By. Most aftermarket stage 1 cleaners do not properly pull the 'Mist' as it's called into the TB sufficiently enough to keep it from collecting on the bottom of the air cleaner which then ends up saturating the filter and puddling below it. Many have gone to running 3/16" copper tubing to direct the BB into the TB. This is how I handled mine:

1344360573.jpg

1344360575.jpg

You can see by the routing the BB oil has nowhere else to go but into the TB and where it was going before I rerouted it.

Hmmmm....

It's a common problem with the Blow By. Most aftermarket stage 1 cleaners do not properly pull the 'Mist' as it's called into the TB sufficiently enough to keep it from collecting on the bottom of the air cleaner which then ends up saturating the filter and puddling below it. Many have gone to running 3/16" copper tubing to direct the BB into the TB. This is how I handled mine:

1344360573.jpg

1344360575.jpg

You can see by the routing the BB oil has nowhere else to go but into the TB and where it was going before I rerouted it.

Back