free website stats program Oil Leak problem... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak problem...

Sorry for the late update but currently:

I had a chance to use a turkey baster to drain out some excess oil. The oil level is now where it should be. I wiped the oil off the inside of the air cleaner cover. As my air cleaner wasn't too dirty and you could still see light through it, I didn't use any cleaner on it although I bought some. I'm heading on a 4 day/3 night 2,100km trip today so we'll see how it goes. I'll monitor my oil at gas stops and see what happens. I'm taking an extra litre of oil with me in case I need it. Wish me luck!

Sorry for the late update but currently:

I had a chance to use a turkey baster to drain out some excess oil. The oil level is now where it should be. I wiped the oil off the inside of the air cleaner cover. As my air cleaner wasn't too dirty and you could still see light through it, I didn't use any cleaner on it although I bought some. I'm heading on a 4 day/3 night 2,100km trip today so we'll see how it goes. I'll monitor my oil at gas stops and see what happens. I'm taking an extra litre of oil with me in case I need it. Wish me luck!

I like the SE air filter I use,,,,I just take it off and squirt Liquid Soap inside it.

Put a good amount of warm water in my Laundry tub to cover air filter element, swish it around seeing all the oil and dirt being removed and finish cleaning with the spout water washing thru from the inside to the out side... Go out side and do the centrifical force thing to remove Excess water, Put it back on and ride...:D

NO I never lube it once cleaned... The normal amount of oil Does come back from NORMAL vapors of the air breathing in-out of motor, THEN needs the process again as I do this Cleaning of the air filter at least every oil change. (my SE air filter can be water cleaned)

OIL should be checked when HOT and IF on the full line OK but NOT over... I like it to be a TAD under the Hot Full mark...

Have a great ride.

Your Problem is probably solved but Clean the air filter....

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the info Bubbie. I'm replying late as I was doing a 2900km (1800miles) ride on vacation. I checked the filter (no change but I hadn't cleaned it) and the inside of the air cleaner cover (which I had wiped clean) and found a light (not nearly as bad as it was) dirty oil film (probably dirty since the filter is a bit dirty) on it near the bottom. I'll get the filter cleaned and see what the difference is. Thanks for the info.

Late to respond but the turkey baster would have been my suggestion; just drain the excess, clean up the air filter and the mess and ride. However, I would not run and do not run eigther of my bikes 1/2 quart low. No, they don't puke oil.

I don't know why anyone would want to route crankcase vents back into the intake; it is a mixture of oil mist, partially combusted fuel and water. This mixture will contribute to and accelerate carbon buildup on top of the pistons. A lot of guys experiencing detonation for the first time when nothing has been changed on the motor are learning about carbon build up and it's effect on engine operation.

There are several ways to vent the crank breathers to the atmosphere or to an external filter/catch can. This venting combined with some effective crank vents like those from ET will eliminate the problem or in the worst case, minimize it to the point that it is not a problem. An illustration of one way to do it is attached; there are other ways.

photo3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back