free website stats program oil drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

oil drain plug

If you look on the left side of bike (under primary) you will see a 5/8 hex near juffystand bumper, facing the left side of the bike on the oil pan is the eng oil drain. The plug directly under the primary (clutch) is the primary drain and the plug on the right side of the bike facing the ground is the transmission drain. all 3 plugs are the same 5/8 hex plug.

Thank You all done tricky. Hey there is a hex screw on the other side up through the bottom. Should it be drained as well?

The one one the other side (facing down) is the tranny drain. Intervals depend on riding style and location. Standard is 3000 on eng oil. I usually change trans and pri lube every 5000. A lot of guys on this site use the spectra 6 speed trans lube. I dont like using eng oil in the transmission. Formula + is what came in it stock. Which is the only pri/trans lube hd makes.Its really personal preference. Use a good syn eng oil like mobile1 or amsoil (made for air cooled v-twins) Syn transmission gear lube and formula + or any primary fluid in the primary chaincase.

Thank You all done tricky. Hey there is a hex screw on the other side up through the bottom. Should it be drained as well?

Depends on how many miles. I try to change both at the same time for easy maintenance. I was using Mobile 1 in both, but changed to Redline in the tranny and it actually does make a big difference.

What I am trying to say is. Is ther two drain plugs for the engine oil? The one near stand the 5/8 hex as well as an Allen key on the other side a little closer to the front of the bike?
WAP.gif

What I am trying to say is. Is ther two drain plugs for the engine oil? The one near stand the 5/8 hex as well as an Allen key on the other side a little closer to the front of the bike?
WAP.gif

NO, Dont mess with that plug, just drain the hex on the left of bike, The allen plugs up front leave them alone and u r good to go

No, there is only one drain plug for the oil. The engine oil sump is the pan under the transmission and the plug to remove is at the left (jiffy stand side) at the rear. It points to the side and you'll need a 5/8" wrench or socket.

The other plug, which points down and is about half way along the tranny right side is for the transmission fluid. If the second one you are talking about is in the front of the oil pan and points forward, it is a pipe plug and is to be left alone. There is another plug in the same area and is located at the rear of the inner primary cover. This is for draining the primary fluid. It also points downward and is also 5/8".

Your engine may also have a pipe plug on the underside of the engine itself. My understanding this was a hole left from the case casting and is not to be removed.

You'll most likely need a new o-ring for the drain plug. They come in a package with the derby gasket and all the o-rings needed for all three fluid change plugs. While at the dealer I highly suggest getting the service manual for your year and model. The manual will save grief and money as you tackle jobs on your bike.

Good luck.

oil drain plug >

Manual on order thank you. I used Teflon tape as well. Thank you
WAP.gif

I did back the pipe plug out. I then put it back in and tightened it. Oops. Is that real bad?
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back