free website stats program Oil Drain on center stand or jiffy | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Drain on center stand or jiffy

Scrounger

So what is preferred, drain while on the center stand or on the jiffy. I'm thinking center stand since all the dealers change on a lift.

So what is preferred, drain while on the center stand or on the jiffy.

Simple way to prove it to yourself and see which is better. Place the bike on the jiffy stand and drain the oil,,,leave it until no more oil comes out. Now stand the bike up straight and see if any more oil comes out.

Simple and effective.

My vote is on the jiffy stand being the drain plug is then at the lowest part of the pan.

This may not be true for softails. The drain is on the right side and it would seem that having the bike upright would be better. I used to get a little more to drain if I stood it up straight. Now I use my new lift so no issue any more.

This may not be true for softails. The drain is on the right side and it would seem that having the bike upright would be better. I used to get a little more to drain if I stood it up straight. Now I use my new lift so no issue any more.

Very true there but the question was about an Ultra :D

Jiffystand for draining both engine and tranny, hot after a 20-30 minute ride to be sure oil/lube is warm and all debris is in suspension in the fluids to be purged when drain is complete. Like Hoop said, once all dripping stopped (about 15 minutes) I "block the bike" leveling with a stack of 2x4's to see if more drips out. Torque drain plugs closed, fill and top fluids to proper level. Put on Derby cover and lower bike and road test.

Keep in mind I'm talking about my Heritage... I drain the engine oil on the lift, but before I remove the filter, I put the bike on the Jiffy stand for this reason the angle of the filter on the Jiffy stand tends to let the oil drip/drain at such an angle as to not make such a mess. And with tin foil under the filter it catches & redirects the spent oil to the proper container... :D

Before I got my jack I drained & filled on stand, but now I have the bike level on jack & use drain pan. I'm guessing if the oil's warmed-up there wouldn't be much left in crankcase in either case (stand vs. jack). It would be interesting to see how Hoople's idea works...

I drain mine on the jiffy then put it on the lift to remove the filter. Found that there is far less spillage this way. If fact just stuffing a couple paper towels under the filter does the trick.
07 Ultra.

Jiffy stand may be fine but with my lift and the ease of getting to it, the use of the lift gets my vote. I don't think the small amount of oil remaining inside the engine, trans will make that much difference since I change all fluids every 2,500 miles. Just my thought.
Has anyone drained on the jiffy and then stood the bike upright to see how much extra oil actually dains out?

Back