free website stats program Oil Drain on center stand or jiffy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Drain on center stand or jiffy

Jiffy stand may be fine but with my lift and the ease of getting to it, the use of the lift gets my vote. I don't think the small amount of oil remaining inside the engine, trans will make that much difference since I change all fluids every 2,500 miles. Just my thought.
Has anyone drained on the jiffy and then stood the bike upright to see how much extra oil actually dains out?

Yes I did when I was installing my oil cooler and about 6 more ozs came out once the bike was levelled out on the lift.

Can you change the oil like on a Car? Just drain from the plugs at the bottom of the engine or do you need to drain in other places? I know it all takes the same oil...the book just seems to be hard to understand! Thanks

Can you change the oil like on a Car? Just drain from the plugs at the bottom of the engine or do you need to drain in other places? I know it all takes the same oil...the book just seems to be hard to understand! Thanks

YES very similar to a car..

My take on this is,,,, Drain plugs Located (look in book) on your oil tank NOT engine bottom!!

I do mine on the jiffy stand, then I sit on the bike After it has drained and lift off the side stand, leveling and a slight side to side motion when finally oil has stopped to flow... , finding a little more oil Will Drain out of the motor each left to right dance I do...... same method on the tranny but up-right not on the stand My bike is 09 FLHR...

It drains Just like a Car BUT different.. No other places to drain oil, just at the drain plugs....LOOK in your BOOK.... It shows where and the amount of oil to fill, DON'T over fill !!!

Three place that have oil on the Big Bikes,,, Engine, Primary, Tranny....
Each uses a different oil/lub ""in my bike"".. ALL Redline products.

20/50 Redline, engine 20/50 Redline,,, ONLY harley filter.
MTL for the primary(says for wet clutch on bottle)
Shockproof Heavy for the tranny

I always get every drop out(no purging) and IF You Didn't move the bike and JUST drained oil and replaced the oil plugs after oil has drained out while on the kick stand NO BIG E.... NEW Oil lubes Best After a few miles on it anyway... So a little is not going to make that big a difference.....

Right Smitty 901

The biker crowd IS Fussy(some way overboard IMO) and have the right to be as we Take Care Of Our Bikes in ""Special Ways"":gh..... EACH having their Own method (considered the Only Way) of doing so.

Not being Right to some is Right to others....(stubborn lot)

Have Fun Learning about "Your" bike and How "You want to do it"...

signed....BUBBIE

I don't see that it makes much of a difference since there is already about 1/2 quart (give or take) of old oil thats not gonna drain out anyhow, (unless you use one of those oil change things with the puck that goes on the filter and such). Given that, and the numerous comments I have read that state its not a problem having that old oil in, I dont see the issue at hand. i mean, if your gonna worry about an extra ounce or two in your drain, but not that extra old oil still trapped inside...

Back