free website stats program Oil Coolers | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers

01dynaglide

I have a 01 Super Glide and was wondering if anyone has put an oil cooler on one. I'm thing about putting one on mine.

I have a 01 Super Glide and was wondering if anyone has put an oil cooler on one. I'm thing about putting one on mine.

I haven't put one on my Dyna yet, but that bike is now parked waiting on me to rebuild it again (did it in '99, but did not split the case or tranny - now the tranny is shot). When I redo that bike, I will definitely put an oil cooler on it. Riding here in the Houston area warrants one. Jagg will be the cooler maker.

TQ

Thanks. I need to put one on my bike. It gets pretty hot down here in South Georgia and I do a good bit of interstate and country road riding (160 miles a day just to work and back). I'm hoping to put one on in the next few weeks.

Thanks. I need to put one on my bike. It gets pretty hot down here in South Georgia and I do a good bit of interstate and country road riding (160 miles a day just to work and back). I'm hoping to put one on in the next few weeks.

This type of riding shouldn't necessitate an oil cooler. As long as you're moving at a pretty good clip things should stay pretty much within limits. Stop and go or sitting at a lot of lights is an entirely different matter.

I put a harley oil cooler on my 07 softtail custom. My temps went from 230, 235 average to 195, 200 average. I just love it.

Kinda the same here, at 30 Celsius I rarely get above 190, thought it was broken cause I wasn't getting any high readings. Haven't been in stop and go for long periods to see how high it might go.

Just a thought, if Harley Davidson thought their motors needed an oil cooler wouldn't you think they would install them at the factory as I understand their motors operated at 230 degrees.

Just a thought, if Harley Davidson thought their motors needed an oil cooler wouldn't you think they would install them at the factory as I understand their motors operated at 230 degrees.

True but I like the added protection as I drive two up and tow a trailer. I installed an HD oil cooler, oil temperature gauge ( in place of ambient temp gauge)and installed the sending unit in the oil pan. Definately a documented noticeable difference in oil temperature and it does take longer for it to heat up when sitting in traffic.

Back