free website stats program Oil Coolers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers

Just a thought, if Harley Davidson thought their motors needed an oil cooler wouldn't you think they would install them at the factory as I understand their motors operated at 230 degrees.

Not necessarily. They did not put a rear stabilizing link on the rubber mounted engine/transmissions to eliminate what many riders experience as that that uncomfortable "rear steer" problem. And harley does now offer the oil cooler option.

TQ

Last edited:
Just a thought, if Harley Davidson thought their motors needed an oil cooler wouldn't you think they would install them at the factory as I understand their motors operated at 230 degrees.

Question about oil coolers and oil breakdown...once the oil goes above 250 and oil begins to breakdown, as it cools does the oil go back to its normal state or what?

While I was riding home from work, 20 miles @ 5-10 mph, on the 405 freeway in Southern California, my HD Analog oil guage peaked between 280 - 300 degrees. Should I buy a cooler and if so, what brand for an 2008 FLSTC. Can this be installed by a novice backyard mechanic or do I need to take it to a stealer?

Question about oil coolers and oil breakdown...once the oil goes above 250 and oil begins to breakdown, as it cools does the oil go back to its normal state or what?

While I was riding home from work, 20 miles @ 5-10 mph, on the 405 freeway in Southern California, my HD Analog oil guage peaked between 280 - 300 degrees. Should I buy a cooler and if so, what brand for an 2008 FLSTC. Can this be installed by a novice backyard mechanic or do I need to take it to a stealer?

Once the molecules are broken down in an oil the oil is not as good as it was and should be changed for fresh oil once the temps you mention are reached.

i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

Installation can be done by anyone with some basic mechanical skills. It's something you should consider running those temps you posted. Stop and go traffic can raise heck with the oil. Jagg is a very good brand and has made the units that HD sells. There's many different types of mounts available depending on what you want and where you want it mounted.
Here's a post that will show what's involved in the installation.

Jagg Oil Cooler Install - Harley Davidson Community

While I was riding home from work, 20 miles @ 5-10 mph, on the 405 freeway in Southern California, my HD Analog oil guage peaked between 280 - 300 degrees. Should I buy a cooler and if so, what brand for an 2008 FLSTC.
Mike,

I suggest you use the search function on this site. Type in Jagg Oil Cooler. Read my post on this subject. (and the others) I have a 2007 Softail that I put a Jagg 10 row on. It is a great little unit.

I used to feel the same way you do about oil coolers. Now I realize that coolers do help, even in stop and go traffic. Granted, they work best when moving, but consider: 1-They act as a heat sink. That is, they cool by passive radiation. The bigger the cooler, the better the effect. That's why a 10 row is always better than a 6 row. If you doubt this, grab a hold of your cooler with a bare hand next time you're stuck in traffic. 2- If you are using a cooler you will, most likely, arrive at the traffic jam with oil that is already cooler. This won't make much difference if you're stuck for an hour, but if it is a short delay it will help. Your fans are a great idea, but even without them coolers do some good, even in stop and go traffic. I think they are a smart idea, espcially for 07 and later twin cams. Back in the 80's some models came from the factory with oil coolers. So what changed? Profit motive perhaps? Naw, not from the MOCO....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back