free website stats program Oil Coolers | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers

Today i was riding my new 117 build in the break end stages and it was very hot today 90's and the oil temp gauge read 267 degrees. Now with a new big build of a 117 with the weather being humid in the 90's is 267 oil temp too high and should i get a oil cooler now?

Normal dino oil begins to degrade at 250 degrees while full synthetic oil begins to degrade at 300 degrees. You didn't mention what kind of oil you are using but 267 is certainly too high for dino oil and getting uncomfortably close to the threshold for synthetic oil. I think an oil cooler would be a good idea.

Normal dino oil begins to degrade at 250 degrees while full synthetic oil begins to degrade at 300 degrees. You didn't mention what kind of oil you are using but 267 is certainly too high for dino oil and getting uncomfortably close to the threshold for synthetic oil. I think an oil cooler would be a good idea.

Jim B. got you covered!!!

I would Second on the oil cooler and "none too soon"..... My thoughts are that the cooler you keep the oil (200/220 degrees) the better for Any motor especially a New One... Heat Kills our engines... When you get a few miles... If you haven't done so already, i would go with a good Full synthetic 20/50 oil and keep it Cool!!! please keep away from HD Syn3 it is a SIN!:x

signed....BUBBIE

I did the oil change 2 days ago when the bike had 60 miles on the new build and i used HD 20/50 REGULAR MOTOR OIL. The builder told me to do 2 oil changes within the first 500 miles using regular 20/50 but then after that then go to synthetic.

So in you guys opinion once i change to synthetic and install an HD oil cooler W/thurmostat what will that 267 degree reading be then?

I did the oil change 2 days ago when the bike had 60 miles on the new build and i used HD 20/50 REGULAR MOTOR OIL. The builder told me to do 2 oil changes within the first 500 miles using regular 20/50 but then after that then go to synthetic.

So in you guys opinion once i change to synthetic and install an HD oil cooler W/thurmostat what will that 267 degree reading be then?

On a JAGG and Synthetic redline, Mine never above 200* on a older FXDS. Reports from others say it usually will lower to 200/220* now on a HD with Therm. I'm not sure, It depends on the thermo. Setting of which i have no information..
I would bet tho' it will drop to a Safe * number... 240 and or below.

signed....BUBBIE

I have the HD oil cooler with the thermostat and I believe the thermostat doesn't open the oil cooler until the temp reaches 185. I really don't know what temp my Ultra runs at but I use Mobil 1 20W50 V twin full syn and have never had a problem in 10,000 miles. I would definitely suggest a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 asap.

On a JAGG and Synthetic redline, Mine never above 200* on a older FXDS. Reports from others say it usually will lower to 200/220* now on a HD with Therm. I'm not sure, It depends on the thermo. Setting of which i have no information..
I would bet tho' it will drop to a Safe * number... 240 and or below.

signed....BUBBIE

My experience as well. The temperature on my 09 Road Glide with the HD cooler with thermostat is usually 220 to 230. Lower when it's cooler out and slightly higher on a very hot day. Still comfortably within the limits of dino oil and a long way from the limits of full synthetic oil.

Using the Mobil1 my 07 classic runs 220-230 during the summer. We just had a 90 degree day and it was running 230 + or - a few degrees. I do not run a cooler as of yet but I am leaning that way. The stage one did calm her down a bit and not since the
105th did the heat get to bad.

I remember seeing an oil pan once that hung down about 1" lower than stock but had aluminum tubes running front to back. These were supposed to cool the oil down in the pan with normal airflow through the tubes at highway speed. Anyone ever seen these? I'd think that in cold weather with no way of regulating the oil/air flow that the oil would never reach operating temp. I'm sure it'd be pretty sweet to have in the summer, however.

I like a bit of simplicity, an oil cooler is passive and automatic...! Yes, it only adds maybe 20 oz of oil and yes the surface area exposed to the cooling air is multiplied many times by the number of tubes, fins (both internally in the tubes as well as externally) depending on volume of oil circulating within, and $200 is not THAT much for a one time installation, little or no maintenance required...a pretty good deal in my book. How much is peace of mind worth?

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/10931-hd_turbulator.html

Back