free website stats program Oil Coolers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers

I've read so much on this subject it just confuses me more. I ride in central Florida in the summer where it get's hot. I thought about the cooler ,but decided it would do me no good in town or on US 1. In the summer, I look for air, so I'll take I 95 a lot more or roads with less traffic lights and traffic.

Oil cooling is fundamental to an air/oil cooled engine...CONVECTION is transfer of heat into the air...CONDUCTION is the transfer of heat thru materials primarily thru metal and surface area transfer...metal - oil - metal! The oil cooler magnifies both...whether standing still in traffic (air temp is same, but oil circulation and heat transfer to the fins internal and external continues) and the delta temp internal and external is still a big difference even in the desert...your oil cooler is still functioning very efficiently either way getting rid of heat. If you have a fan cooled one, so much the better.

I've read so much on this subject it just confuses me more. I ride in central Florida in the summer where it get's hot. I thought about the cooler ,but decided it would do me no good in town or on US 1. In the summer, I look for air, so I'll take I 95 a lot more or roads with less traffic lights and traffic.

If I lived in Florida or other places where the weather gets really hot (humid or dry) during the summer, I'd sure have one on my bike. Shoot, I have one on my bike for trips to places where it gets hot even though I live in a place where the temperature rarely gets over 72 degrees. Of course, I came from the water cooled motorcycle world so I'm a little paranoid about engine heat.

When you are stopped and have an oil cooler, you will get some cooling from convection. If you are moving or you are stopped with a breeze blowing across the external fins, you are getting even more cooling from convection. Every little bit of cooling helps.

I would talk to the engine builder about this heat issue. Are your sure that a lean condition is not contributing to the heat? My understanding why he wants you to use the dino during break in is to ensure full seating of the rings. I would agree that a oil cooler is a good addition but with the temps you stated I think you need to look to the builder for an additional contributing factor.

Back