free website stats program Oil Change Video | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Video

You know I was watching those oil change videos on the site here, and I noticed that he use a can of Brake Clean to spray around the area where he removed the oil filter. I guess it was to clean off the dripping oil from the filter, but BRAKE CLEAN?

If you look at the video, he just takes the can and starts spraying all on the face were the oil filter attaches and everywhere. Will that not hurt the engine and surrounding area? Can you use brake clean like that?

I noticed that as well. He just sprayed the brake cleaner all inside the oil filter housing!! You should wipe the filter housing mating surface to make sure there is no dirt on the surface....that's it. Then you fill the oil filter with oil and apply a light coating on the gasket, so when you put the filter on, oil will probably spill out anyways. Once the filter is on, then spray away all the spillage with brake clean. People like brake clean because it will thin out and wash away oil and dirt with out leaving any residue.

The filling of the filter is optional and if you fill it half way, the filter media will absorb most of the oil so spillage should be minimal if any.

Personally, I think the key on pre-oiling the filter is to saturate the filter media with oil prior to starting the engine after an oil & filter change. What I do is kind of a combination of both approaches above. I fill the filter with oil and let it soak. Then tip the filter over into a funnel in the fill tube to empty the excess so it won't end up on the engine and more importantly on the front motor mount. I then put the filter on and fill the engine with oil as normal.

TQ

Back