free website stats program Oil Change Video | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Video

tlyoungb

You know I was watching those oil change videos on the site here, and I noticed that he use a can of Brake Clean to spray around the area where he removed the oil filter. I guess it was to clean off the dripping oil from the filter, but BRAKE CLEAN?

If you look at the video, he just takes the can and starts spraying all on the face were the oil filter attaches and everywhere. Will that not hurt the engine and surrounding area? Can you use brake clean like that?

It's not good to get it on things like the rubber in the mounts and some plastics, but you can use it on metal surfaces.

Hi Glider,

Well I tell you what. the way he was spraying it, there is no way he could not have gotten on any rubber surfaces. Thats almost like using starting fluid to clean parts. I have seen people do that. Use starting fluid to clean parts and stuff. How Crazy is that. Must be a better way to clean off the oil one you remove the oil filter. You would think that they would make some sort of cleaner that you could use like a spray. You would that there would be a better place to put the oil filter to start with.

Those videos are meant for instructional purposes only. There's a lot of areas that I cringe when I viewed them but for a first timer, it gives them an over view of how to do the job.

Simple green is a good choice flushed with a lot of water after an oil change but you wouldn't want to do this with the filter removed.:s

Oh yea. I would not use any kind of water while the filter is removed. I did get the Service Manual for the 05 touring. Man that manual is thick. It is the harley davidson service manuel I ordered from the Harely Davidson website. It gives alot of detail about the bike. On somethings it I get lost in all the detail. I found the secton on service intervals, and it stops at 25,000 miles. I had the 25,000 mile service done. So what would a 30,000 miles service intale? I am going to do the service myself this time.

Does anyone have any tricks they use to keep from soaking the area under the filter with oil?

Back