free website stats program Not charging | Harley Davidson Forums

Not charging

bus driver

My stock 91 EGC EVO is not charging. When I started it today it was putting out the normal voltage on the voltmeter. ( appox 13.8) I rode it for about 3 blocks when the voltage dropped to the bat voltage. (12.5). When I put a load on it, it dropped accordingly . ( discharge). I rode it back home and put a digital meter on it to confirm the non charging situation. I unplugged the regulator and checked the ohms from the stator, and they were zero. Then I checked the stator VAC output, which checked ok. 16-20vac per 1000 rpm. All ok. I think there is no way to check the regulator. My question is, is there anything else that could malfunction that would give the same indication as a bad regulator? ie. bad circuit breaker? That's what I get when I go for a ride when it's 30 degrees out. I should have listened to my Bride. Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

I forgot to mention, I made sure the regulator plug was firmly in the stator receptacle . ( female portion) Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Hi, there is of course always a chance for a broken wire. Since you can use a meter you should check the path for continuity and verify a good ground and no shorts. I don't know your bike's wire diagram, but you will find a breaker or fuse if it's there.

WAP.gif

I will do the bleed test. I have one stupid question. While doing the test, is the ignition on or off? I priced a new regulator from HD, and it was $59.00. A lot cheaper than I was expecting. HD was cheaper than all the other on line sites. It's through Drag Specialties . Go figure. Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if the reg. has a ground wire. Some use the case bolts, some have a wire TO the case bolt. I've had 4 requlators on my '92 Dyna. I buy ACCEL brand, they are no better, but if it fails, they will replace it free. At least they used to. Make sure you get the right amps reg. also.

There is no ground wire. Just the two that go to the stator, and one that goes to what I assume is a circuit breaker or relay. I checked the continuity of that wire , which was good. The battery is fairly new(less than a year old), and fully charged. I keep it on a battery tender. I never had a problem with the charging system before, so I'm hoping it's just a quick fix with a new regulator. I appreciate the heads up with the accel regulator, I will definitely check it out. Like I said, when I first started it it was charging fine, but after it was warmed up to go riding, it was only showing battery voltage. I have a habit of always checking oil pressure and charging, thats why I know it was charging at engine start. Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Just a question or 2. When you ck'd. your charging was it still warm/hot and not charging?
When you ck'd. your ohms on the stator did you also check it for grounding? Continuity ,ground test, and AC output are all critical test. Have a look here for the test and results if you don't have a manual.http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-47714.html
tourbox

I have a HD manual from HD. The bike was warm when I did all of the checks. I did all of the test that were in the manual and they all checked out ok. I don't think it mentioned checking the stator for grounding, which I know it didn't do. I did check ohms and output though, not grounding. I'll check it tomorrow, but thanx for the suggestion. The bike is bone stock and I have had it for 6 years with no charging problems except battery replacement. Thanx Bus a Driver.
WAP.gif

I forgot to answer your ? about Ign. on/off for the regulator test. The ign can be off because the reg. output wire to charge the battery goes to the Main 30 amp. breaker, then directly to the the starter post. It has the Pos. cable on it from the battery.
If your manual is the same as mine look at page 8-124 in the bottom R/H corner for the stator & reg. hook up.
tourbox

Back