free website stats program Not charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not charging

I forgot to answer your ? about Ign. on/off for the regulator test. The ign can be off because the reg. output wire to charge the battery goes to the Main 30 amp. breaker, then directly to the the starter post. It has the Pos. cable on it from the battery.
If your manual is the same as mine look at page 8-124 in the bottom R/H corner for the stator & reg. hook up.
tourbox
WAP.gif

Yes we have the same manual and that was the correct page. Thanx. I did a ground check of the stator and the was no grounding. I ordered a new regulator because all indications are that is my problem. I truly hope it's that easy. ( sometimes you get the elevator, and sometimes you get the shaft.) I appreciate all of your advice. I should have the new regulator in by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted. Or should I say threaded. Thanx again Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Yes we have the same manual and that was the correct page. Thanx. I did a ground check of the stator and the was no grounding. I ordered a new regulator because all indications are that is my problem. I truly hope it's that easy. ( sometimes you get the elevator, and sometimes you get the shaft.) I appreciate all of your advice. I should have the new regulator in by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted. Or should I say threaded. Thanx again Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Check to be sure the new regulator is grounding at the frame with a test light and your battery is fully charged so your readings are correct:s

Will do. I know my battery is ok. It's only a few months old , I keep it on a tender, and it cranks fine. The day it acted up, it started fine and was putting out 14 volts on the bike voltmeter. When it was warmed up I got on it to ride when I noticed it only had battery voltage. So much for taking a ride. Thanx for the advice. It's greatly appreciated. Thanx again, Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Put in the new regulator/ checked to make sure it was properly grounded, thanx. Started it, and it purred like a kitten putting out 14 volts. I had a real dickens of a time with the stator plug. I hope they reengineered it. Because the rubber plug/boot was a pain to get it right. Don't worry that wasn't the problem to begin with, I checked that first. I just wanted to say thanx for all of the advice you guys gave. Thanx Again Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Well glad you're back on the road. Hope your weather is good so you can enjoy a nice ride.
tourbox

45095-85_1-325x325.jpg
Have a look at 1 of theses to keep the wires plugged in tight

Back