free website stats program noisy engine after gear drive installed | Harley Davidson Forums

noisy engine after gear drive installed

2004rk

i had a s&s gear drive kit with 510 cams and new lifters with adjustable pushrods installed on my 2004 roadking flhr.ran fine but when it got hot it sounded like it had a bad lifter or two. it sounded loud and terrible.rode it 2 hours straight one time and it sounded like the motor was coming apart.had a hd mechanic look at it had .002 run out he said was ok.replaced the pinion gear to the next bigger and adjusted pushrods again.ran great no noise. got about 2000 miles and noise is back .sounds again like a lifter and only when its hot.seems worse for some reason when ol lady is on the back.it seems like it has a hollow noise coming from the nose cone area. any suggestions? :(

i had a s&s gear drive kit with 510 cams and new lifters with adjustable pushrods installed on my 2004 roadking flhr.ran fine but when it got hot it sounded like it had a bad lifter or two. it sounded loud and terrible.rode it 2 hours straight one time and it sounded like the motor was coming apart.had a hd mechanic look at it had .002 run out he said was ok.replaced the pinion gear to the next bigger and adjusted pushrods again.ran great no noise. got about 2000 miles and noise is back .sounds again like a lifter and only when its hot.seems worse for some reason when ol lady is on the back.it seems like it has a hollow noise coming from the nose cone area. any suggestions? :(

when i did my conversion SS570 G

I found it necessary to go with fueling lifters(other good brands available)..... NO NOISE.
ALSO I USE 20/50 SYNTHETIC REDLINE/ mobil v-twin syn. 20/50 will work

I WOULD ALSO SUG: GO WITH A BETTER OIL PUMP (UPDATED ONE)
the old style (if you haven't changed) did little to help matters...
the NEWER pump in the 07/2010 models will fit into your engine and give a lot more oil VOLUME
and when your motor is HOT will quiet starving lifters.
?did you check the oil pressure/misaligned oil pump/lack of oil when hot

just my opinions

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
What brand of lifters did you put back in, I was running fueling lifters and it sounded the same as yours, I was also running SE quick install pushrods, changed cams and installed HDb lifters and S&S pushrods, sounds like a different engine, quiet.

i have the screamin eagle adjustable pushrods and the lifters i believe came with the kit. not sure because the shop that put the gear drive kit in bought the stuff.can i buy just the updated oil pump or do i have to buy the updated plate too? i thought of doing that but didn't think that would help with the noise.

what type lifters are supposed to be top of the line? thanks to all of you that responded! i think ill try some top quality lifters first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start changing what you have, see below. To up-grade the pump and the plate, you are basically redoing all the time and cost you have just done installing the gear drive. You may not have to unless you determine that the lash is correct now.

Noise is the big concern with gear driven cams. Extremely important is the correct lash and adjusting this is done with over-size or under-size gears. See the detail in the document below starting at #13.

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
took it back there several times and they gave me the run around. never doing business with them again. think they just threw the kit in and didnt check any runout or lash and gave it back to me. they dont want to help.

i should have done the whole job myself but didnt. thats what i get i guess!

i had a mechanic from chi town harley look at it and was with him at his house when he pulled it out.he checked the run out but i dont think we checked the inner drive gear lash. really the only thing i dont know is what type lifters i got in there.the run out was 2 thousanths.like i said it was quiet after he did that and we put a larger pinion gear in and he adjusted the pushrods again. it ran quiet about 2000 miles then became noisy again

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a mechanic from chi town harley look at it and was with him at his house when he pulled it out.he checked the run out but i dont think we checked the inner drive gear lash. really the only thing i dont know is what type lifters i got in there.the run out was 2 thousanths.like i said it was quiet after he did that and we put a larger pinion gear in and he adjusted the pushrods again. it ran quiet about 2000 miles then became noisy again

What you might try before swapping out your lifters is to install the Baisley spring (LMR-002). This will increase your oil pressure by about 10-15% and may do the trick quieting down your lifters and top end. I had it in my engine before the roller chain conversion, and am popping it back in the first time i open up the cam cover. See here:

Baisley Hi-Performance Oil Spring Product

TQ

Back