free website stats program noisy engine after gear drive installed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

noisy engine after gear drive installed

TQ makes a lot of sense, low oil pressure could be a root cause of the "noisy lifter" symptom. Also make sure that once you are going in, to notice placement of everything...could have been minor mis-aligned or improperly setup part(s) or improper length rods, etc. as hydralic lifters rely on a bit of "oil pump" up to takeup the clearance you would normally hear as clatter. Also there were some case were areas of the valve covers had to be radius'd if using hi lift cams.

TQ makes a lot of sense, low oil pressure could be a root cause of the "noisy lifter" symptom. Also make sure that once you are going in, to notice placement of everything...could have been minor mis-aligned or improperly setup part(s) or improper length rods, etc. as hydralic lifters rely on a bit of "oil pump" up to takeup the clearance you would normally hear as clatter. Also there were some case were areas of the valve covers had to be radius'd if using hi lift cams.

******* YES ON ABOVE AND REREAD BUBBIE... I have done this conversion and the BIG problem is alignment of OIL PUMP (check pressure when HOT)
ALSO the adjustment of adjustable push-rods has to be right..... using LIFTERS that are MADE FOR HIGHER LIFT CAMS....

WHAT OIL DO YOU USE IN MOTOR, this plays a factor as clatter when hot....

You say you don't know what lifter THEY put in..... where are the OLD ONES they took out?
Did they return ALL your old parts?
I wouldn't be surprise if they used your OLD stock lifters to cut cost $$$$$.....

MINE RAN QUIET FOR A LONG WHILE THEN the lifter noise came ON just like you describe... installing fueling lifters (OR GOOD brand) solved my noise...

remember MINE had the BETTER oil pump and STILL clattered without GOOD LIFTERS for my SS 570 G cams...

I ended up putting a good lifter in because of the lifter noise/// I did use fueling and had good luck putting over 50,000 miles on that motor... still running for someone else today...

signed....BUBBIE

i have tried mobil 1 , syn 3 and regular harley oil and all seemed the same.still had the noise. i ordered the baisley spring today and will try that first. will post after i get it in. theshop that put in the gear drive did give me back my old parts along with the original lifters.if the spring does'nt help im going to pull the lifters and pushrods,check the rear drive gears for lash and buy a good set of lifters.i want to try the baisley spring first.

Back