free website stats program No longer an H-D Newbie . . . and it felt wonderful! | Harley Davidson Forums

No longer an H-D Newbie . . . and it felt wonderful!

markfsanderson

Yup . . . this afternoon I picked up my brand spank'n new 2011 FXDC and rode it from the Caliente Harley on the west side of SAT to where I work near the airport. The only real kinks in the party was that the battery went too low to turn it over, and had to be given a charge from one of those wheeled chargers . . . it kicked right over and came to life! This was to be expected from the nearly 30 days it spent being transported across the country. It was full of oil, gas and looking good when I got there - just no juice! That will probably be my first $$ will be a battery tender . . . that and a stock replacement K&N airfilter. I'll hold off on any performance stacks/AC for now . . . The other issue was that the NH H-D dealership forgot to put the paper plates on the bike, so I had to ride . . . well . . . as ticket bait! I didn't get pulled over on my first ride - thanks god! I have a license, insurance and proper equipment . . . so I wasn't going to get a -serious- ticket . . .but annoying as I would have to show up in court to get it dismissed after getting the inspection and plates processed . . . sheesh! Also, for some reason, they don't allow temporary paper transfer plates downloadable from the DPS like they do on cars . . . Motorcycles can't do that trick . . . oh well! The H-D dealer is sending me paper plates and I'll be processing the title here Monday . . . no sweat for now!
The ride itself went better than expected, I got used to the engine/clutch/break feel by putting around the parking lot . . .stopping and starting. I took a side road down about 2 or 3 miles and returned . . .then I got on the freeway access road and rode all the way around . . . didn't get up on the freeway though . . . that would of been too much for the first time for a recently inexperienced rider.
It felt great . . . very comfortable . . . I had just purchased a Shoei SF1000 today (Its a full coverage Snell Approved helpmet) . . .and it is very light weight and the visor is exteremely clear . . . It got up to about 80F today, and I thought I'd be sweating . . .but very comfy on the ride. . .

Now I know why folks LOVE these bikes . . . and now I do too! Now I just have to figure out a way to break my bike in . . . I'd like to find a stretch of road to do my 30/60 break in properly . . . without attract the local constabulary that is . . . 'Oh officer, see - I was just breaking my enigne in!?' (yeah, right pal!)

All in all - a great experience! I hope to see of you out there! I'll be taking some road trips and having fun with it . . .

Mark - thanks!:D

Yup . . . I think the folks there in NH remember me as the guy that walked into a H-D dealer with a poodle - hahaha! He's a standard poodle, but only about 45#, he's quite small for a standard for sure. The one that I grew up with was about 70# . . . both named Louis (pronounced the correct way, like Louis Armstrong) . . . after the intial startle response when I started the engine for the first time . . . he became rather annoyed that I was sitting on such a loud beast! :D

Mark - Thanks!

PS: He asked, but I won't give him his own side car . . . Louis won't be riding Harley's for a while Yet!!:p

Enjoy your riding(year round) and be careful:rider

Congrats on the new bike.............But after only 1 ride I would say you are still a "newbie":bigsmiley20:

Congrats on the new bike.............But after only 1 ride I would say you are still a "newbie":bigsmiley20:
I had another word in there that better described the occasion in my opinion . . .but it was 'edited' out . . .hahaha! The word is the that which preceedes the word 'Airlines' for a company that is based in the UK. It also forms the root word for two of our states here in the US . . . but was mysteriously changed . . . hahaha! :rofl I said that I am no longer an H-D ... (Airlines)! I hope I don't get dinged on this one - ahaha!

Mark - thanks!

Back