free website stats program Nightster problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster problem

steved409

Have a 2007 Nightster with about 2500 miles. Had starting problems (dead battery) if the bike sat for over 2 weeks from day one. Just thought the security system was draining the battery. Turns out the battery had a bad cell.

Lately engine started but seamed weak in turning over. Never failed to start though. But on a two hundred mile trip with some friends this past Friday , I returned to my bike after lunch, put in the key, turned it on, pushed the 'on' button, waited for fuel pump to pressure up and then pressed 'start' button. It went 'clunk' and everything went DEAD! Pushed the bike to start.

Same thing next two stops. Started OK on the next two stops.

Then a repeat of the problem on the next stop. This time we put the bike in gear and pushed it through a compression stroke and it then started in the normal manner.

Now I can't start it here at home. I changed the battery in the security key ring sender transmitter but that didn't help.

Battery is strong, everything just goes dead when the start switch is hit. If it was the starter it wouldn't just go dead would it?

Thanks,
SteveD

My wife's 2008 Nightster did the same thing. I cleaned the battery connections really good and haven't had a problem since.

I hope you can have the same "luck".:bigsmiley30:

Purchased April of 2007

it's still under warranty until April of 2009 then. I'd get it into a dealer before the warranty runs out......sounds like that bike might sit for awhile or you must make a lot of short trips, maybe you should look into a battery tender. A bike that sits for long periods can be hard on a battery and a bad battery can be hard the charging system and other electricals.

Usually with the symptoms you describe, it ends up being a bad connection on a battery cable. Remove both ends of both cables and wire brush them and reattach them.

Back