free website stats program Nightster problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster problem

It's nice to know I have the warranty to fall back on. I did find really bad corroded fuses and relays in the fuse box. Cleaned everything up real well now the instrument/ speedo pod just blinks when the key is turned on and the relays 'hum' when the starter is pushed. Will clean battery cables and if that doesn't work then HD here I come!

You would think HD would have provided a water resistant cover for the fuse box! This type designing reminds me of the old Lucas "Prince of Darkness" engineering of English motorcycles 50 years ago!!

Checked the voltage across the battery and found 14.4 volts. Positive terminal clean as a whistle. But, ugh, when I got to the negative terminal! Corrosion really thick. Cleaned it and my problems dissolved. Turns over really strong now. I would think the neg terminal wasn't cleaned when the bad battery was replaced in April at the local dealership.

Thanks all,
SteveD

Last edited:
have you greased battery connections ? you can have a n optimate battery tender wired straight in :s just plug in when on return from journey saves mucking about

My Nightster was just over 1 year old and I had the same problem, Battery died after a 150 mile ride. I got HOG recovery out and took it back to HD who put a new battery on.
I can't leave a charger on it as it sits on the front drive with a Bike Barn covering it so it wouldn't be safe. Anyway you shouldn't be getting problems with a new or newish bike so if it goes again then HD can fix it again.

I had 14.4 volts. Will a battery tender keep the terminals from corroding?

Thanks for the tip on the dielectric grease on the fuse box. Do you just cover the fuses??? Or like dip the prongs with the grease then insert?

I had 14.4 volts. Will a battery tender keep the terminals from corroding?

Proper cleaning and protection (maintenance) will do that. Charging of the battery creates hydrogen gas which is the main cause of corrosion and is very explosive also.

Back