free website stats program New type drive belt fitting | Harley Davidson Forums

New type drive belt fitting

karlsbike

Hi all
Anyone knows if the new type 1 1/8" drivebelt works with old type front sprocket?
I will probably change the rear anyway as I am installing a 6-speed overdrive tranny and want the overall gearing a bit lower (current 2.94 to 3.13).
As the old drivebelt is 1 1/2" it should give me 3/8" x 2 = 3/4" (about 19 mm) more room for the tyre. I should be able to fit a 150 or possbily a 160. Don't want too wide rear as it affects handling, but a bit more meat would be good...

Hi all
Anyone knows if the new type 1 1/8" drivebelt works with old type front sprocket?
I will probably change the rear anyway as I am installing a 6-speed overdrive tranny and want the overall gearing a bit lower (current 2.94 to 3.13).
As the old drivebelt is 1 1/2" it should give me 3/8" x 2 = 3/4" (about 19 mm) more room for the tyre. I should be able to fit a 150 or possbily a 160. Don't want too wide rear as it affects handling, but a bit more meat would be good...

Going to 1 1/8 belt AND changing out the rear pulley should work just fine... The rear pulley will align the belt BUT I would check "IF" The NEW pulley keeps the same measurement from the tire/rim as the 1 1/2 did.... That is where the correct measurement will make a difference....(keeping LEFT side of new belt where the Left side 1 1/2" belt WAS is the important thing here..) then it will work.)***(giving you the maximum dimension of clearance)

I found on a FXD 2000 model, I could mount a 150 tire with NO problems using the stock belt, 1.5".. (1/8 clearance of tire/belt) going to a 160 requires a 1/4" more room again on the belt side,,, So I think you'll be fine IF the pulley dimensions FIT to the Left of original as stated above.

Just my Opinion here, so check before you buy the tire.(.)

They do make spacers to Move the new belt pulley out IF NEEDED to keep the belt as far Left as the 1 1/2 was.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie - a valid point that I did not think of.
The new rear pulley probably is probably just like the old, i.e. with the flange sitting in the middle with no offset. This would only give me half of what I thought. Will look for those spacers...

Btw, I've got a 140 in now, but it is a tight fit - the belt is ALMOST rubbing. Elsewhere I have plenty of space to fender, swingarm, etc.

Thanks Bubbie - a valid point that I did not think of.
The new rear pulley probably is probably just like the old, i.e. with the flange sitting in the middle with no offset. This would only give me half of what I thought. Will look for those spacers...

Btw, I've got a 140 in now, but it is a tight fit - the belt is ALMOST rubbing. Elsewhere I have plenty of space to fender, swingarm, etc.
If your new pulley measures to the SAME out side of the old pulley demension Now used, It sounds like you Still will have ONLY enough room for the 150 tire.. NOT the 160..

I use a 1/2 inch over all on each tire size increase (1/4 " on each side of tyre)

see,,,,,Now, I'm speaking your language "TYRE"

I found the 150 to Look bigger at a glance and was as Big as I wanted to go and IT handled Fine... On the dynas, harley went to the 150 size as stock.

Let me know how and what happens...

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with you - unless I put a spacer behind the rear pulley. I have not got the pulley and drivebelt yet - this is another one of my winter projects (in addition to building & installing a new S&S engine, installing new tranny guts, sorting out a rear steer/wobble issue, some bits 'n pieces while I'm in there. Hey, it sound slike I'll be occupied this winter;). Will keep you posted on the progress.
Cool - we've got a convert, only 299 999 to go, heh, heh...

Cool - we've got a convert, only 299 999 to go, heh, heh...
And the joke would only have a point if I'd managed to get my numbers right - 299 999 999

Update: I am now waiting for a 2007 set-up with wheel, belt, and rear pulley. I hope it will do what I want - I needed to replace my belt and gear it down (original Int'l modles have 61 rear pulley). As a bonus, I was hoping to fit a bit wider tyre as well.
I have not received it yet, but searching the 'net I find that Harley went from 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" and then at some stage to a 1" belt.
Not sure what this is, but probably a 1"?

If so, I can space out the pulley 1/4"-1/2", and get a 150/160 in. As you, Bubbie, I don't want too wide, as handling is the main thing for me.

Once I get the parts in I will check, measure & report back.
Will need to check carefully to see what fits, as wheel widths are only given in thread width, not overall/max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Here's an update:
The 2007 pulley is sitting with the outside face like my original, i.e. the .5" narrower pulley and belt nets about the same in added space. For both sides, this gives a theoretical added space of 1" (the belt & pulley are 1").
In reality it also looks like I should be able to fit a 160 tyre when considering belt and swingarm gaps, but now the main issue is the rear fender:

As the Harley touring fenders do not sit centered in the frame but is over on the RH side (why?), this is the main issue now. I saw this coming, so I went for a 150 tyre instead which should JUST work...

I have not yet ridden the thing, as the rebuild took longer time than anticipated (what else is new;), but I fired up my brand new motor for the first time last night, and it sounded sweet! S&S has a fairly comprehensive 'initial start-up' sequence before the running in starts, and I am following it to the letter. This week-end I will be riding!
I shall see if I can take a couple of pix of the installation..

Hi all
Here are a few pix of my 150/80 16 tyre installation, including fitting 2002 swingarm, 2000 rear brake, 2007 pulley and belt.
Note the gaps - to belt I have about 1/2" gap, to the belt guard half of that (but this could be modified for a wider tyre).
As mentioned, the main issue is the gap to the RH side of the fender where I now have less than 1/4" and a 160 tyre could cause problems.
Note that my Venom 150/80 16 tyre is 150mm overall width - but Avon has another Venom 150/80 16 tyre which is 157mm wide(!)...

Rear end left side.JPG Rear end right side.JPG Rear tyre gap1.jpg Rear tyre gap2.jpg Rear tyre gap3.jpg

It does look fairly tight on the right side the big worry for me would be any cables or cable clips on the underside of the fender on the right side as they can protrude into that space a wee bit
Bye the way my avon venom tyres are working well for me on my softail i do have a lot of confidence with them although i haven't tried them out on really wet roads yet

Brian

Back